Cleaner shrimp or some sort of monster...?

Squirrellyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I look in the tank and this thing was at the back of the tank seemingly out of the blue. Any ideas? Given the markings (at the bottom) and the long antennae, I’m thinking maybe a cleaner shrimp. Those two characteristics look similar to the cleaner shrimp on the left. Maybe it was carrying eggs when we got it a few months ago?

Probably unrelated, but a week ago we reduced light and started dosing Nopox as per instructions due to an algae outbreak (nitrates at 20, phosphates at 0.25 by API).

Thanks for your help. Mainly I’m concerned if I need to move it to the sump or get it out of there altogether.

1D2DC621-10CC-406E-982F-E7FF57740DBF.jpeg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The molt in the back of the tank ? I am not sure what your asking here . Thats a good thing , your water is good , and he is growing ! ^5

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shed its exoskeleton. When they get to big and confined for their exoskeleton,the shed the old one and a new one replaces it. No worries

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized my reply didn't explain much lol.

Shrimps will shed their exoskeleton every now and then, this is normal and healthy and can happen about once a month. Typically it is due to size, however, if you see it happening weekly, it could be a sign they are trying to rid themselves of toxins or something in the water and that can mean something is wrong.

The molt can often look like a whole shrimp and be intact as one piece. Some people remove them, some people let the tank process them as waste. Others think they provide iodine (I think, off the top of my head) to the tank and are a good thing.

Personally, I let the tank process it as I like to keep as many natural processes in the tank as possible, however it is up to you!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaked my wife out first time she saw my freshwater shrimp exoskeleton lying there in the tank.

My reef cleaner shrimp been molting about every 8 weeks since I got him.

My freshwater shrimp are still molting after 4 years (yeah, I know...I have some ancient amano shrimp)

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaked my wife out first time she saw my freshwater shrimp exoskeleton lying there in the tank.

My reef cleaner shrimp been molting about every 8 weeks since I got him.

My freshwater shrimp are still molting after 4 years (yeah, I know...I have some ancient amano shrimp)
Funny story like that. When I got my first shrimp ever, I knew about molting but had not seen it in person. Well one day I was cleaning the tank and saw the shrimp hanging out near a rock. I was cleaning another rock near the other side of the tank and the shrimp came out of the rock and started cleaning my hand, scared me to death!!! I practically jumped through the roof. Turns out, the 'shrimp' that was on the other side of the tank was his molt kinda tucked in the rock and positioned so that it looked like him from a distance.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story like that. When I got my first shrimp ever, I knew about molting but had not seen it in person. Well one day I was cleaning the tank and saw the shrimp hanging out near a rock. I was cleaning another rock near the other side of the tank and the shrimp came out of the rock and started cleaning my hand, scared me to death!!! I practically jumped through the roof. Turns out, the 'shrimp' that was on the other side of the tank was his molt kinda tucked in the rock and positioned so that it looked like him from a distance.
My cleaner was fighting with parasitic isopod (bonus that came with him). After two moltings the isopod was still there. I couldn't catch him to do surgery to remove it so I figured he'll survice or he won't. I know the isopod lifecycle is drop off eventually and usually after shrimp is weakened/dead. One day a few weeks ago, all I saw were the antennae in back, not moving and figured he had succumbed.

Little bugger was hiding and surprised me as well when I was reaching in to remove the "carcass"

Story ended well, the isopod dropped off. His last molt still has the bubble in his exoskeleton (interesting) but no pod. Next molt should be back to normal shrimp.

Side note: As I understand these isopods, they need an intermediate host for the eggs to develop. This host does not exist in most home reef tanks so lifecycle should end here. Guess I'll find out.

Back