Cleaner shrimp ripped a hole in fuzzy lionfish fin

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Can't believe what I saw , added a baby fuzzy lionfish today .....As soon as this fish settled on a rock my cleaner shrimp was on him
I didn't think much of it as that's what the shrimp do , I moved the shrimp away with my glass cleaning pole as I wanted the fish to settle and not be stressed
Anyway a couple mins later the lion fish moved to were the shrimp hangs out and I couldn't believe what I was seeing , the shrimp jumped on the fish and ripped a big bit of its side fin ....He sort of tugged at it ...Really violently and and came away with a big bit
Before anyone says it can't be the shrimp I watched the whole thing :)
I now want this shrimp out, iv never liked it as it steals food from my lps
Iv had the shrimp for about a year and he's days are now numbered

Anyone ever had a cleaner shrimp turn into a hard nut lol
Couple pics of the fish , you can't see the ripped fin and lights are off but tomorrow I'll post pics of the damage

IMG_20170324_213254.jpg

IMG_20170324_213237.jpg

Edit you can see the the damage , bottom pic bottom big side fin ..Don't know what it's called
You can see a big bit missing

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tables will be turned soon enough. Lionfish eat cleaner shrimp. Your cleaner was just doing a preemptive strike, knowing his days are numbered. Poor little guy, he's fighting for his life.
Don't worry too much about the damaged fin. It will heal.

Last edited:

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just had what I thoroughly believe was a skunk cleaner shrimp annihilation of a new sea hare... You can check my threads if you want the whole story, but because of what I witnessed I am now in search of new homes for my cleaner shrimp! I am so over shrimp... First it was peppermint ripping apart my frogspawn, now cleaner shrimp killing my sea hare...

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These creatures are not bad. They are doing what comes natural to them. We cannot blame them for these actions.

These are compatibility issues. It is up to the reef keeper to thoroughly research each and every animal before adding to our tank.

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These creatures are not bad. They are doing what comes natural to them. We cannot blame them for these actions.

These are compatibility issues. It is up to the reef keeper to thoroughly research each and every animal before adding to our tank.
Right on! I agree. The peppermint were originally to take care of a tiny aptasia problem, which they did. Then proceeded to feed on my frogspawn. So, they found a new home. Also, I took great care to check on the cleaner shrimp compatibility on numerous sites and forums. Thought they would be good to go if feed well, which they are. But I suppose shrimp are like fish. They differ from individual. So, now I know that these at least are not compatible with my system and are finding a new home. I know loads of people around my town that keep them with absolutely no ill effects in mixed reef tanks.
I do find it crazy though that they may take chunks out of a fish fin, when they are known to be cleaners of parasites and whatnot on fish!
I dont blame the creature, its apparently what they do. I am just personally over keeping shrimp. I guess I am more of a coral guy! Haha!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tables will be turned soon enough. Lionfish eat cleaner shrimp. Your cleaner was just doing a preemptive strike, knowing his days are numbered. Poor little guy, he's fighting for his life.
Don't worry too much about the damaged fin. It will heal.

As above the cleaner will soon be on borrowed time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back