Cleaner Shrimp with Predators, Great Idea or Tasty Snack?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always looking to expand the biodiversity of my aquarium, and lately I've been wondering about cleaner shrimp. I have heard many tales about various predators leaving them alone because they provide a beneficial service. That being said, in an enclosed environment of an aquarium, I don't know how well that may hold up long term. And pretty much any predator I want think shrimp are crunchy and delicious.

So, has anyone successfully kept a cleaner shrimp with Predators?

What other species are out there that may keep our fish friends in tip top condition? I only know of the bluestreak wrasse and cleaner shrimp.

If it matters, I have
Greyfaced Moray
Marine Betta
Plan to have in a 230 Gallon, in addition to the above.
Snowflake or another greyfaced moray.
1-2 flame hawkfish
Niger Trigger

Picture because morays are awesome.

DSC_2434.JPG

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice eel! I can't speak to the fish in your tank, but my coris wrasse ate my cleaner shrimp within a couple of months of being added. I think it would be fine with the eel, but the marine betta might eat a shrimp

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger and the flame hawks are a no go. I actually keep a flame hawk in my bc29 predator tank, and he hunts like a scorp, eating live ghosties and guppies. I've also kept bettas in predator tanks eating live ghosties, guppies, and mollies, Some have kept eels with cleaners, but honestly I don;t know how long that really last, no one told my jeweled he wasn't supposed to eat them. Every one I know it's just been a temporary thing at best. The niger is really a non starter.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hopeful, but I can't say I didn't expect the answers I got. Such is the life of predator keepers.

If I ever see a cleaner on sale, and I'm already quarantining a bunch of inverts, I may give it a shot. Worst case, it's enrichment to hunt live, as I am still working on a supply of live ghosties.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hopeful, but I can't say I didn't expect the answers I got. Such is the life of predator keepers.

If I ever see a cleaner on sale, and I'm already quarantining a bunch of inverts, I may give it a shot. Worst case, it's enrichment to hunt live, as I am still working on a supply of live ghosties.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a waste of time & money. I had a fist sized urchin that was shaved & eaten. Killed my 4" fighting conch & take out golf ball size zebra turbos regularly. Shrimp was the first to go out of all of them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back