Cleaning a used Nano tank (Red Sea Max Nano)

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

Today I will pick up a used Red Sea Max Nano from a guy in my community. He just moved all fish and corals into his second (and bigger) tank.
Now as the tank was running until yesterday it will come pretty "dirty". Now I wanted to ask you guys, how would you properly clean the whole tank? Everything is included in the backside of the tank and I dont know if i am able the clean every little spot well enough.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas?

I will try it with Citric Acid for sure.

Would you also "dip" all the power heads and stuff for a few hours in citric acid?

thanks for your help!

cheers and again sorry for my bad london ;Woot

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yes citric is the way to go, and yes on equipment too.
enjoy your new tank... :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would use vinegar, or diluted muratic acid on the tank, and any equipment I would put in citric acid. Any hard coralline spots use a vinegar, or acid soaked rag and let it sit on there for a while. Rinse well.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would use vinegar, or diluted muratic acid on the tank, and any equipment I would put in citric acid. Any hard coralline spots use a vinegar, or acid soaked rag and let it sit on there for a while. Rinse well.
Why would you use vinegar instead of citric acid? As i saw there were alot of little calcium spots on the back of the tank (black) which I need to remove. Might need to scrape that with some sort of razor blade.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is a little stronger then citric acid, least for cleaning plastic and glass in my experience. The smell on the other hand.....

I would not use vinegar on pumps and such as it's been known to swell magnets if it gets into them, and destroy pumps.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Soak a towel in the citric mix ,lay ,paste it to glass for a little while 30 min ?,keep it wet with cup of mix water ,flat to the glass .
will scrape right off,may have to repeat on heavy area's..

Back