cleaning canister filters/algea issues

TMiller39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had 75g set up for about 8 months. Have had trouble along the way, lost some fish, but getting on track now. I have long green algea I'm trying to get under control, but water has been testing very good, fish are healthy. I have a puffer, foxface, blenny, 2 clowns, 3 carpet anemones and a wrasse who all get along. I'm looking into food ideas(freezing homemade pastes) and just started using purple up a week ago. I have some q's..How often should I clean my canister filter and do partial water changes? When should I look into getting corals?(already running a skimmer) I do realize I have got to get rid of puffer and wrasse. I'm entertaining the thought of another tank??..maybe. Suggestions and guidance would help on these q's or anything else anyone thinks I should do!!:eek:oh:

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the canister filter. It will cause nitrates and that is actually what's prob causing your algae now. Get a protein skimmer.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first off let me say welcome to Reef2Reef!

In what you typed there are a few things to mention. First off, Purple Up as a product is not going to get you very far. It is snake oil in a bottle as you will get a better result by just adding a nice piece of seasoned live rock to the tank instead...

Second, the hair algae is growing due to the nutrient content in the water. Being up for 8 months it sounds like you have a pretty well stocked tank already which can be adding to the nutrients. Also you mention you are running a canister filter. These can easily turn into nitrate factories which can fuel the algae growth in the tank. This can be prevented by frequent thorough cleanings or by removing the canister and relying on live rock and the skimmer. However it is hard to tell what is causing the algae in the end without a little more info.

What are you feeding the tank currently and how often?

Are you using tap water or RODI water for top off and water changes?

You said "water has been testing very good" but can you post up the results of your tests and what kit you are using?

These questions can help us direct you toward potential solutions to the algae issue. Hang in there as sometimes the issue can only be solved with patience, but we can help make sure the patience will pay off with more info.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do partial water changes every 2 weeks. During this time, I do minor maintenance on my canister filter.I rinse the sponges in the water change water and change some of the carbon. I try not to change the media out all at once. I just keep everything on a rotation. I also clean the hoses every 3 months.

OP
OP
T

TMiller39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding mysis shrimp, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp and marine flakes(not all at once). Was feeding krill, but the puffer quit eating it. He only likes the shrimp. I obtained a recipe for homemade food I'm making up, as I know they are not getting what they need. I feed in the morning and again at night. Really not sure how often or how much I should be giving them?? Yes I use tap water and the kit I use is same as what pet store uses, dip stick and color chart. I appreciate the feedback and will be willing to try anything to have a healthy tank, cause I really have no clue what I'm doing, lol. Also, in the food recipe it calls for cyclops and garlic extreme, is this good and what the heck is cyclops??

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding mysis shrimp, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp and marine flakes(not all at once). Was feeding krill, but the puffer quit eating it. He only likes the shrimp. I obtained a recipe for homemade food I'm making up, as I know they are not getting what they need. I feed in the morning and again at night. Really not sure how often or how much I should be giving them?? Yes I use tap water and the kit I use is same as what pet store uses, dip stick and color chart. I appreciate the feedback and will be willing to try anything to have a healthy tank, cause I really have no clue what I'm doing, lol. Also, in the food recipe it calls for cyclops and garlic extreme, is this good and what the heck is cyclops??

I would recommend to stop using tap water. You can get a RO/DI unit or buy distilled or RO/DI water. Tap water can cause algae issues. I would also recommend using test kits that are titration (drops). They are more accurate than the dip sticks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back