Cleaning Cheato

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy holidays everyone, I have a question.
Can you clean Cheato, I run cheato in my sump, chamber before return pump, I have a sponge filter separating the chambers.
The problem is my cheato and refugium is full of bubble algae, red slime algae and probably other types of algae, I regularly turn the cheato.
Could I take the cheato out, place in bucket of heated mixed saltwater, then clean the sump ?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy holidays everyone, I have a question.
Can you clean Cheato, I run cheato in my sump, chamber before return pump, I have a sponge filter separating the chambers.
The problem is my cheato and refugium is full of bubble algae, red slime algae and probably other types of algae, I regularly turn the cheato.
Could I take the cheato out, place in bucket of heated mixed saltwater, then clean the sump ?
You certainly can. I clean my sump every month. I don't bother with mixing up new water. I just shut off the return, throw the chaeto in a bucket, and throw a gallon or so of tank water into it. It's only partially submerged in the bucket and does just fine.

OP
OP
Twoddler

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly can. I clean my sump every month. I don't bother with mixing up new water. I just shut off the return, throw the chaeto in a bucket, and throw a gallon or so of tank water into it. It's only partially submerged in the bucket and does just fine.
Thanks for reply, I,ll do just that due a water change tommorow

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan at BRS just recently posted a video saying that he has in the past taken his cheato and soaked it in fresh water for 4 hours and then again for 2 hours in another fresh water bath to rid of any potential hitchhikers.
Now if it can survive that regimen, giving it a small cleaning should be no problem.

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread to ask a related question. I need some clean cheato but of course Algea Barn hasn’t had any for months so I’m just going to get some from my LFS. I’m going to fresh water soak it like Ryan from BRS does but I’m afraid that might be get the eggs or potential Ich trophants. Has anyone ever tried soaking in therapeutic level of Coppersafe (2,20 ppm) for 2 weeks?

So I’m thinking 4 hours in RODI, 2 hours in saltwater then 2 hours in RODI again. Then 2 weeks in 2.2 ppm coppersafe. Maybe even some prazi for flukes eggs that survive the first freshwater soak.

Thought?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back