Cleaning salt water filters

Gavin1274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm here posting about a fluval filter and a protein skimmer I bought from people off offer up and craigslist. I'm trying to start my very first aquarium and baught both of those items from people at a very good price. I havent put water in the tank or anything yet. But I was curious if it would be okay to clean and rinse the two filters with tap water and let them dry if that would be okay for when the time comes to put them in the tank? Or is tap water always a no go no matter what. Thank you all

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only is that ok, you can rinse the ongoing live filters in tap and it doesn't sterilize them. Most won't use those filters in a reef but you can if you want

OP
OP
Gavin1274

Gavin1274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only is that ok, you can rinse the ongoing live filters in tap and it doesn't sterilize them. Most won't use those filters in a reef but you can if you want
Is it not a good filter in a reef? And the chlorine and stuff in tap wont do anything bad to the water once they're added?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are ok to to use in a reef but if you polled people here only 2% use those on a reef they're for freshwater. They don't harm but they clog with waste and have to be cleaned often thats all.

The chlorine isn't like a pool, not strong enough in drinking water to sterilize no it doesn't kill the filters at all I've been rinsing in tap for twenty years various aquarium filter items

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back