Do cleaning shrimp kill smaller fishes?

20200701_221440.jpg 20200701_221438.jpg

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They clean fish, I have had one since i started reefing and its never killed any fish but who knows. Id bet to say it died and its not picking through it. I'm no expert though

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They clean fish, I have had one since i started reefing and its never killed any fish but who knows. Id bet to say it died and its not picking through it. I'm no expert though

Its possible for a fish to die in 20 minutes? Sorry for the dumb question,but im new to reefing.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes lol. The change from one tank parameters to another can cause a fish thats a little sick to spiral down pretty quick. And mind you i could be wrong. Ive never experienced my cleaner going after any fish as food.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it but my fire shrimp is the most aggressive critter in my tank and top dog, period, LOL. All my fish are afraid of him

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big changes lately? Adding new rock perhaps?

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes lol. The change from one tank parameters to another can cause a fish thats a little sick to spiral down pretty quick. And mind you i could be wrong. Ive never experienced my cleaner going after any fish as food.
I got the goby last week,i was having problems in feeding him. But i saw him swimming around before he came dinner.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it but my fire shrimp is the most aggressive critter in my tank and top dog, period, LOL. All my fish are afraid of him
I saw him swimming around 20 minutes later he was being eaten.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big changes lately? Adding new rock perhaps?

No.my tank is new,i had trouble feeding him din't want to eat anything. But before he ended up being dinner to the cleaner shrimp he was swimming around.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's even possible for a cleaner shrimp to catch a fish.

It's definitely possible for fish to die that quickly. It happened to my yellow tang- healthy and swimming one moment, and the next time I looked at the tank I found it dead.

Anyway, cleaner shrimp are scavengers when they aren't cleaners. It was probably just scavenging the body.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's even possible for a cleaner shrimp to catch a fish.

It's definitely possible for fish to die that quickly. It happened to my yellow tang- healthy and swimming one moment, and the next time I looked at the tank I found it dead.

Anyway, cleaner shrimp are scavengers when they aren't cleaners. It was probably just scavenging the body.

Din't know they would die so fast without any signs of dying. Gonna be honest it was sad watching him eat him like that. Never thought i would see that. My first fish that dies.

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies are always labeled easy to care for, but I had two die on me before. It wasn’t until I got an ORA neon goby that I had any luck. My current neon goby has been in my tank for over six months. It also shares a tank with a cleaner and blood red shrimp. He parks right next to them and I have never noticed any aggression by the shrimps.

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the shrimp would be able to kill it. Will definitely eat it once it dies though.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree, the goby died and the shrimp is doing its job. If the goby wasn't captive bred, then the likelihood of disease is high. There's absolutely no reason for this fish to be offered as a wild specimen, especially when captive bred fish (Neon, sharknose, etc) are readily available and inexpensive. Sorry for your loss.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back