Cleaning Used Equipment and Tank

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got a used 60 gallon acrylic tank setup and would like to know how you would sterilize everything.

Right now I have the pumps and skimmer soaking in tap water because they are clogged up with crusted salt. After rinsing and scrubbing them do I need to do anything else?

Will using vinegar and a plastic scraper be good enough for cleaning the acrylic tank? This is what I have done with glass tanks.

Thank you,

Misbar

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and bleach and then a really really good rinse. Acrylic scratches easy so be very careful.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and bleach are used for different purposes.
When I get used gear, I always give them a bleach bath to kill any undesirable bacteria. Then if necessary I give them a vinegar bath to help remove tough coraline algae, calcification etc. However these days folks are switching to muratic acid instead of vinegar due to corrosive vinegar possibly damaging protective rubber parts of equipment.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tap water alone will come pretty close to doing the job. Marine invertebrates are isoosmotic with sea water. So immersion in fresh water will kill nearly all of them. The vinegar will get rid of calcium carbonate. The bleach will oxidize and eliminate nearly every bacterium. You don’t really have to sterilize things, just get them reasonably clean.

jorlad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What concentration of bleach or vinegar do you guys use?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back