Cleaning White Haze off of glass

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

A few months ago I had taken down my tank to start remodeling my living room, the room is finally complete and now I'm ready to start the tank up again. I tried to clean it really good today using Vinegar and some bar keepers friend to get all the calcium deposits off but I continue to get a white haze on the glass after it dries up. When the tank is wet the glass looks great.

What can I do to get this crap from coming back.

TIA

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you set the tank back up assuming you won’t notice it since there will be water in it? Why bother then?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank hazy before you took it down? If it doesnt clean with water and a blade then its probably stained. I had this problem the glass was put with tin side on the inside, when its suppose to be air side on the inside.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some research and if it is the Tin issue my plans on my tank now that its sitting in the garage is to hit with cerium oxide (if I ever get to it).

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank hazy before you took it down? If it doesnt clean with water and a blade then its probably stained. I had this problem the glass was put with tin side on the inside, when its suppose to be air side on the inside.
The tank was brand new when I got it 5 years ago. The side panels are barely hazy if at all it’s only the front glass and the entire thing. If it was stained I would have expected for maybe certain portions of the glass to be stained as well as the side.
I’ll probably try a magic eraser but I have a feeling it won’t do anything.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ashish Patel nailed it. Most people, once they realize how much work is really involved, learn to live with it if it's only apparent when it's dry. It's really only worth doing if you can tell when there is water in the tank.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bar keepers friend is gritty, it's not supposed to be used on mirror or glass surfaces it will cause micro scratches/ hazing. My best guess is that you unknowingly did this and the glass needs to be polished to fix it. If you were originally doing this on the outside while the tank was full you may not notice, if you did the inside and outside now that it's empty it's double as hazed.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was brand new when I got it 5 years ago. The side panels are barely hazy if at all it’s only the front glass and the entire thing. If it was stained I would have expected for maybe certain portions of the glass to be stained as well as the side.
I’ll probably try a magic eraser but I have a feeling it won’t do anything.

Dont' waste a oz of energy trying to clean it, Wont work! Get it professionally polished or do it yourself. Mine felt like how your tank looks when it needs the glass cleaned, all the time! it was a bumper, I have a 400 gallon now I am working on thank god the owner said he checks with a tool to ensure tin side is on the outside.

OP
OP
sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bar keepers friend is gritty, it's not supposed to be used on mirror or glass surfaces it will cause micro scratches/ hazing. My best guess is that you unknowingly did this and the glass needs to be polished to fix it. If you were originally doing this on the outside while the tank was full you may not notice, if you did the inside and outside now that it's empty it's double as hazed.
I don’t think bar keepers friend caused any problems, I’ve seen many tanks get cleaned with this and worked great every time. The haze was already there before I used the stuff plus the side panels looks good. Who knows.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think bar keepers friend caused any problems, I’ve seen many tanks get cleaned with this and worked great every time. The haze was already there before I used the stuff plus the side panels looks good. Who knows.
I'd fill it a couple gallons and see how it looks with water then . Maybe you just didn't notice before? Can you flip and use that side as the back? Is the other long side hazey too?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back