Clear evidence of CO2 being a driver of lower pH

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using a CO2 scrubber with outside air drawn into the chamber to help boost pH.
Last 2 days it was cool enough to open the windows during the day and clear out all that CO2 in the house.
Boy what an impact.

A2FF567C-CA60-40ED-9A22-E1A05703D9D4.png

OP
OP
Gatorpa

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up: Algae grows when nutrients are in the water
Thanks for the snarky comment.

The post is for the benefit of people who have been discussing ways to raise pH and the efficacy of the various methods.

Some people actually have no effect when they open their windows…

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now add kalk and soda ash and get your ph like this....
Soda ash hasn’t made much of an impact IME. I see a small spike because the probe is near where I dose but it doesn’t help much more than a temporary spike. For several months I have been contemplating switch to sodium hydroxide for my dosing instead of soda ash.
I am very jealous of your pH levels though.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash hasn’t made much of an impact IME. I see a small spike because the probe is near where I dose but it doesn’t help much more than a temporary spike. For several months I have been contemplating switch to sodium hydroxide for my dosing instead of soda ash.
I am very jealous of your pH levels though.

Sodium hydroxide should give you same ph boost as kalkwasser( unless you become limited by evap since it is much less concentrated). Either will be better(in terms of raising ph) than soda ash though.

I like the kalkwasser just cause it easier for me to spread the pH impact out across a long period of time. In my case I dose about 4gallons of saturated kalkwasser a day, but now hitting my evap limit and having to use some sodium hydroxide also. My PH ranges from about 8.3 to 8.5 lately though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back