Clear slime

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mix of red sea coral pro and blue bucket with ro/di. (for me). Have 2 other tanks in same room use same water made at same time in all tanks and only happened in the new pico setup. but lets focus on posters tank as I got mine resolved.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been basting the rock and letting it collect in the filter socks for over 30hrs now and I ran out of socks. Lol. Going to be cleaning 10 felt socks today. It has covered all my probes and causing incorrect readings. I find if I baste them all then I’ll get normal readings for a few hrs. I’m worried this will clog my trident feed line.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been basting the rock and letting it collect in the filter socks for over 30hrs now and I ran out of socks. Lol. Going to be cleaning 10 felt socks today. It has covered all my probes and causing incorrect readings. I find if I baste them all then I’ll get normal readings for a few hrs. I’m worried this will clog my trident feed line.

well you only have cuc currently so take the Trident and probes off line for a few days. Once you clean up the slime you can start them back up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to tell as image is too blue. Could be sponge but again hard to depict

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.
My wife just admitted she had a candle burning in the room next to the tank 3 days ago for 2hrs before she remembered I asked her not to.:oops:

Normal candle will not cause this - it gives only carbon dioxide into the air. Our living room is normally filled with tealights during winter time - nema problema

However - was it a scented candle - it maybe change things. I have seen articles saying that Scented candle will form formaldehyde (its an organic carbon compound) when they burn. Especially limonene that gives a smell of lemon and orange. It is in itself a organic carbon source C10H16 .

Note - this is a long shoot with a longbow - have never heard of scented candle that cause bacteria bloom in an aquarium - but what I know for source - is it in your air - it will end up in the water too - especially if you use a skimmer

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal candle will not cause this - it gives only carbon dioxide into the air. Our living room is normally filled with tealights during winter time - nema problema

However - was it a scented candle - it maybe change things. I have seen articles saying that Scented candle will form formaldehyde (its an organic carbon compound) when they burn. Especially limonene that gives a smell of lemon and orange. It is in itself a organic carbon source C10H16 .

Note - this is a long shoot with a longbow - have never heard of scented candle that cause bacteria bloom in an aquarium - but what I know for source - is it in your air - it will end up in the water too - especially if you use a skimmer

Sincerely Lasse
Well it’s the first thing I have come across. As it reads it is a “highly scented” candle. The main display is looking much better with all the basting. Now it’s mostly in the sump and the side tanks. The refugium red Ogo is coated in it and little bubbles.

44F69B25-607B-4266-80DF-C730A8900B75.jpeg 7F26A256-FB98-4E5F-AD5B-D406B72132B8.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say to here that there is suspicions that compounds in scented candles probably can be converted to formaldehyde (in the air) in certain circumstances. Formaldehyde is classed as cancerogenic

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say to here that there is suspicions that compounds in scented candles probably can be converted to formaldehyde (in the air) in certain circumstances. Formaldehyde is classed as cancerogenic

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah I did not want anything burning in the house. Well I will wait for the ICP test and continue to baste and remove as much as I can.
I will keep updating till it’s gone. Thanks to all.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got most removed out of the main display and now I’m focusing on the small tanks and the sump. Looks like it is subsiding. Lots of basting and swapping out clogged filter socks but I’m really making progress. I did cut the lights today as well so that might also be a contributing factor to its recession.

E58D3E3F-172E-4021-874A-BC8E8BC9619E.jpeg

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad its getting better. and resist the urge to do a water change as i suggested ( i would rcmd a week minimum) or all your work will have been for nothing as you will start over again...

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it is almost non extant in all tanks attached to the main sump. I pulled out the carbon filter and it was completely plugged with this stuff. Completely cleaned it and added new carbon. I put a clean sponge in the pic for comparison and have only had that carbon in the filter for 10 days. Didn’t affect anything in the tank. Actually my red Ogo seems to be growing faster now. Could be just me but I’ll be harvesting it next week at this rate and it’s only been in a new system 3 weeks. Thanks to everyone for their input.

627BC6AE-1416-4C57-ACCE-5F35EF61DF17.jpeg 4B742A2C-83EA-4F32-8DCA-44A13E3D52B3.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting if you can - sooner or later - knit this event with something more than the candles. For many years ago - a friend of mine call me up and ask how to get rid of white algae (in a freshwater Tropheus tank) There is no white algae I said - it must be bacteria that grow in your tank (this was long, long before we know anything about dissolved organic carbon and what it does in a tank) No its algae he said. We talk for more than a hour - and I could not convince him. After two weeks we talk again and I ask him how it was with these white algae. His answer was that his girlfriend have been very angry at him because he had put in 1 kg of her fructose in the aquarium instead of the table salt just beside the fructose package....... I was right :D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting if you can - sooner or later - knit this event with something more than the candles. For many years ago - a friend of mine call me up and ask how to get rid of white algae (in a freshwater Tropheus tank) There is no white algae I said - it must be bacteria that grow in your tank (this was long, long before we know anything about dissolved organic carbon and what it does in a tank) No its algae he said. We talk for more than a hour - and I could not convince him. After two weeks we talk again and I ask him how it was with these white algae. His answer was that his girlfriend have been very angry at him because he had put in 1 kg of her fructose in the aquarium instead of the table salt just beside the fructose package....... I was right :D

Sincerely Lasse
Oh wow! Yeah that will definitely create a problem. I will continue to think about what it could have been and watch closely toward everything that goes in the tank. If it does return I will let everyone know on this thread.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m still having a bit of it appear in the sump. I got a Telmu microscope and I feel like I’m back in college lab classes.

0799231A-C07F-442B-8BBB-07A305149C9F.jpeg 41985E58-90E7-4246-AA3B-BB27D55202B1.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back