!!!Clear Water Questions!!!

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason or another, I just can't seem to get my tank water clean. I have a Coralife BioCube 32 and all the levels are good (except for phosphates of course). I always have green hair algae and just stuff that is floating in the water. My fish seem happy as well. My set up in the back of the tank is a skimmer, filter floss, bio balls and finally a carbon filter floss on the bottom rack.

I JUST WANT CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO REALLY?

P.S. Has anyone ever used and do you recommend an inTank Media Basket vs the media basket that comes with the BioCube? Pictures below!
inTank 1.jpg
inTank 2.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water for your water changes and top off? And how much flow do you have in the tank? Are you sure its not sand particles that are being blown around? Do you have a filter sock of some type running in your tank? :)

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water for your water changes and top off? And how much flow do you have in the tank? Are you sure its not sand particles that are being blown around? Do you have a filter sock of some type running in your tank? :)

I have the stock media basket that came with the tank, I am using Red Sea water from my local fish store, As far as top off I don't really have enough evap to top off between water changes every week. I might lose a 1/4 gallon per week. and I have the return pump for circulation as well as a Hydor Koralia Nano 425. Lastly it is not sand particles, I have a more course type of sand. The stuff that is floating looks like fish waste. I am thinking that it doesn't go to the filter or skimmer because of the hair algae that I have. Maybe

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the stock media basket that came with the tank, I am using Red Sea water from my local fish store, As far as top off I don't really have enough evap to top off between water changes every week. I might lose a 1/4 gallon per week. and I have the return pump for circulation as well as a Hydor Koralia Nano 425. Lastly it is not sand particles, I have a more course type of sand. The stuff that is floating looks like fish waste. I am thinking that it doesn't go to the filter or skimmer because of the hair algae that I have. Maybe
Can you provide us with your stocking list please?

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide us with your stocking list please?

About 20lbs of live rock, 5lbs of sand, flowerpot coral, BTA, devils hand coral, frogspawn, torch coral, plate coral, mushroom, a couple of other corals that I cant remember, two clowns, one chromis, yellow tang, sleeper goby, crab, three hermits, 5 snails.

One chromis in pic is gone! Also, algae on the right has been removed as well!
Tank.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the problem is that your tank is severely overstocked. That yellow tang for starters is a no go unless you have a larger tank for him in the future. There is to much waste for your tank to be able to process it fast enough.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the filter floss capture a lot of debris? If not, it's possible that you're seeing a bacterial bloom; this generally looks like more of milky substance floating in the tank than particulate (though you've eluded to it resembling some sort of particulate). If the floss is collecting a lot of debris, is it getting so full that the water flow is bypassing it? Perhaps check the floss every 12 hours or so will provide some feedback as to what may be happening.

Edit: I dont believe your bio-load to be an issue (though the tang is best left to larger tanks).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the filter floss capture a lot of debris? If not, it's possible that you're seeing a bacterial bloom; this generally looks like more of milky substance floating in the tank than particulate (though you've eluded to it resembling some sort of particulate). If the floss is collecting a lot of debris, is it getting so full that the water flow is bypassing it? Perhaps check the floss every 12 hours or so will provide some feedback as to what may be happening.

Edit: I dont believe your bio-load to be an issue (though the tang is best left to larger tanks).
5 fish (one of which is a tang) in a 32 gallon tank and you don't believe bioload might be an issue??

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the problem is that your tank is severely overstocked. That yellow tang for starters is a no go unless you have a larger tank for him in the future. There is to much waste for your tank to be able to process it fast enough.

I plan on getting a 130 gallon in September.

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a filter floss that I cut to size. I currently have it a little bigger than what it is supposed to be therefore it creates the shape of a cup. But it does not seem to get too much for it to handle.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a filter floss that I cut to size. I currently have it a little bigger than what it is supposed to be therefore it creates the shape of a cup. But it does not seem to get too much for it to handle.

How often do you change it? How thick is it? Is there a way for the water to flow around and bypass it? If you change it frequently, does the water clear up?

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change it? How thick is it? Is there a way for the water to flow around and bypass it? If you change it frequently, does the water clear up?

I change it every two weeks about 20% and it does clear up for a few days. Water may be able to get around it, I haven't really watched to see and it is about 3/4 inch thick. That is part of the reason why I was asking about the inTank Media Basket. A lot of people are saying that it is a really good investment for the BioCube. Maybe that is my problem.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stock list of fish should change, way to much of a bioload, you will never provide enough nutrient export. A biocube is in no way enough room for a yellow tang. @madweazl you seriously think a yellow tang isn't an issue in biocube?? To the OP, I'd listen to @Crabs Mcjones, you've got solid advice.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change it every two weeks about 20% and it does clear up for a few days. Water may be able to get around it, I haven't really watched to see and it is about 3/4 inch thick. That is part of the reason why I was asking about the inTank Media Basket. A lot of people are saying that it is a really good investment for the BioCube. Maybe that is my problem.

Start by changing the floss every few days and see if the water clarity improves (I suspect it will).

That stock list of fish should change, way to much of a bioload, you will never provide enough nutrient export. A biocube is in no way enough room for a yellow tang. @madweazl you seriously think a yellow tang isn't an issue in biocube?? To the OP, I'd listen to @Crabs Mcjones, you've got solid advice.

I stated the tang was best left to larger tanks. The remaining fish in the tank arent an issue and the phosphate levels could certainly be dealt with as is. I think frequent changes of the filter floss will have a large impact on that alone and GFO could be used to handle the rest. In no way am I advocating keeping tang and said nothing to the contrary (my comments were only related to bio-load).

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the intank media basket in my 32 biocube. I only had 3 fish in mine and changed my filter pad every 3 days. I would say maybe changing the floss more often would help. Having the tang is ridiculous but without it you might have too many fish still.

Side note - I really liked the media basket. I didnt like the bioballs in my cube I found that they held onto detritus and were hard to clean. I put some ceramic media in the media basket to boost my bacteria population. Media basket it pretty pricey though.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start by changing the floss every few days and see if the water clarity improves (I suspect it will).

I stated the tang was best left to larger tanks. The remaining fish in the tank arent an issue and the phosphate levels could certainly be dealt with as is. I think frequent changes of the filter floss will have a large impact on that alone and GFO could be used to handle the rest. In no way am I advocating keeping tang and said nothing to the contrary (my comments were only related to bio-load).
Yes but the problem OP is having is free floating fish waste that isn't getting broken down. And the tang along with the other fish, would be attributing to that.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You stated bioload isn't an issue? That's seems contradictory to me. The tang and the bioload I believe is a direct issue.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the intank media basket in my 32 biocube. I only had 3 fish in mine and changed my filter pad every 3 days. I would say maybe changing the floss more often would help. Having the tang is ridiculous but without it you might have too many fish still.

Side note - I really liked the media basket. I didnt like the bioballs in my cube I found that they held onto detritus and were hard to clean. I put some ceramic media in the media basket to boost my bacteria population. Media basket it pretty pricey though.
Agreed

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I will have to get rid of the tang from what I am seeing. I can tell you that my other half is not going to be happy with this outcome! Any other suggestions?

If not, remember, the tang is the smallest one I could find and will be moved to a bigger tank in September when I get my Red Sea Reefer 625, so will it be okay until then? I will just manage the tank a little better and do weekly water changes instead of every two weeks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back