Clearwater Scrubbers - Very Disappointed Overall

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this model too. It has worked as expected with no issues. Made a Plexiglass support to position it over the sump.

I did modify the pipe size however right off the bat, just 'cause I thought it would lessen the chance of a blockage. What I did was silicone 3/4" fittings over the threads of the 1/2" bulkheads. If I remember correctly I had to use the Dremel to increase the ID of one side of the 90s a bit. Main drain is 3/4" all the way with clear tubing about the last 4" so I can get a visual on what is going on. Left the overflow at 1/2" just used an appropriate hose barb adapter.

But, basically I set it up as recommended and I would say it has worked as advertised. For me, I would say it is a quality product that functions as advertised.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience. Sometimes stuff just goes South. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick,

I am out of town this weekend but will be happy to video call you on Monday and walk you thru setting to up correctly. We have over 300 of that model in use and yours is an isolated incident. From the picture you posted of the setup, it looks like the drain is going to have to go thru the back unless you drill a hole into the stand. That’s asking a lot from 1/2” flex. Like I told you on the phone, that size flex is going to choke the flow. It’s not the bulkhead drain. We have plenty that are in use using the exact same bulkhead drain with no issues. So if your would like to video conference on Monday, I will take the time to get it working correctly. You can let me know thru this forum or thru email.

I appreciate the offer, but as I stated in another post, the scrubber has been disconnected and taken offline. The fact that this is an isolated incident does not make me more eager to troubleshoot. The very nature of encountering a problem for the first time is that one probably don't know how to solve it. Experimentation is going to be necessary to find a solution. This problem, whether it happens on other units or not, is extremely problematic in my situation. I can't afford to play around with solutions that may or may not work. Especially when ruining my neighbor's ceiling is a very possible out come of a failed solution.

It also doesn't inspire confidence that your first solution, "increase the flow," is not possible with this model. I'll make a video in the next few days that shows the maximum drain rate of this scrubber with no fittings or tubing attached at all. Despite you blaming these problems entirely on the way I installed it, the max flow rate from the main drain with no fittings is within a few GPH of the drain rate I got with flex tubing attached.

I'd still like to hear your responses to my other post. If flex tube is so bad for these units and is the cause of the problems I'm experiencing, why doesn't your product video say not to use it? Why doesn't your website say not to use use it? If flex tubing is so bad for these scrubbers, why does BRS's product listing explicitly state that you CAN use it? Whether you wrote the product listing for BRS or not, it's written from the point of view of someone with authoritative knowledge of this scrubber. If the listing is wrong, as the manufacturer you really should tell them to fix it. Same question for mounting over the sump. If my install is so novel and these scrubbers absolutely must be mounted over the sump without exception, why doesn't your website say that? Why doesn't your install video say that? Why doesn't your product's listing on BRS say that?

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the offer, but as I stated in another post, the scrubber has been disconnected and taken offline. The fact that this is an isolated incident does not make me more eager to troubleshoot. The very nature of encountering a problem for the first time is that one probably don't know how to solve it. Experimentation is going to be necessary to find a solution. This problem, whether it happens on other units or not, is extremely problematic in my situation. I can't afford to play around with solutions that may or may not work. Especially when ruining my neighbor's ceiling is a very possible out come of a failed solution.

It also doesn't inspire confidence that your first solution, "increase the flow," is not possible with this model. I'll make a video in the next few days that shows the maximum drain rate of this scrubber with no fittings or tubing attached at all. Despite you blaming these problems entirely on the way I installed it, the max flow rate from the main drain with no fittings is within a few GPH of the drain rate I got with flex tubing attached.

I'd still like to hear your responses to my other post. If flex tube is so bad for these units and is the cause of the problems I'm experiencing, why doesn't your product video say not to use it? Why doesn't your website say not to use use it? If flex tubing is so bad for these scrubbers, why does BRS's product listing explicitly state that you CAN use it? Whether you wrote the product listing for BRS or not, it's written from the point of view of someone with authoritative knowledge of this scrubber. If the listing is wrong, as the manufacturer you really should tell them to fix it. Same question for mounting over the sump. If my install is so novel and these scrubbers absolutely must be mounted over the sump without exception, why doesn't your website say that? Why doesn't your install video say that? Why doesn't your product's listing on BRS say that?

Patrick,

I’m not going to go back and forth with you on this forum about your situation. From the picture you had posted of where it was setup, you are asking a lot for 1/2” flex tubing with little to no fall over the distance. We have hundreds of these running that have zero drain issues and can handle the flow. I’ll be happy to hook one up and video it with the correct flow and the drain having no issues to keep up. Like I have stated before, we help anyone who reaches out to us. But posting negative reviews after just setting it up yourself without contacting us or even attempting the fixes we suggest is very unfair and wrong. I am sorry you feel you had a bad experience with our product but I know we could have fixed them if you would’ve have put in as much effort into implementing our suggestions as you have into writing a negative review. If you change your mind, we will be happy to help you as it is really a pretty simple fix.

Thank you!

David Moceri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem is when the spray bar gets clogged with algae, it shoots to the sides, through the opening at the ends, where the spray bar sticks out. I have been brushing the spray bar openings weekly and it stops this from happening. If I wasnt so lazy, I would make a guard.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have over 300 of that model in use and yours is an isolated incident.

The problem here isn’t the scrubber. It’s how he wants to mount it outside and have the drain ran. It is fixable and we have helped customers thru the process.

Is his an isolated incident or have you helped others fix the problem? Both can't be true.

I've been researching scrubbers and there are actually quite a few people who've had leaking issues with the CW. Obviously not everyone and there are clearly happy customers. But enough to give me concern. It otherwise looks like a good unit.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem is when the spray bar gets clogged with algae, it shoots to the sides, through the opening at the ends, where the spray bar sticks out. I have been brushing the spray bar openings weekly and it stops this from happening. If I wasnt so lazy, I would make a guard.

+1. You can see the same thing beginning to happen with my freshly cleaned setup (pic in post above). I think they should redesign this unit to solve this issue, redesign the plumbing to minimize the footprint, and find something less clumsy than the heavy wall washing LED lights (for me, the metal mounting bracket snapped off the plastic mounting screws during shipping).

20181006_150634 (1)~2.jpg

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you ever fix the problem or did you end up selling the unit?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can cut a larger diameter pic pipe down the center to cover the existing slot pipe that will prevent algae from growing into your slot pipe and creating the blockage and the squirt gun effect. google it. also this is a very old design algae scrubber that litterly everyone makes from atlantis scrubbers to chinese made eBay scrubbers there cheap and easy to make they do work but require tinkering to make them perfect. turbo scrubbers are hands down the best point blank. do a google search and you will get it working

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can cut a larger diameter pic pipe down the center to cover the existing slot pipe that will prevent algae from growing into your slot pipe and creating the blockage and the squirt gun effect. google it. also this is a very old design algae scrubber that litterly everyone makes from atlantis scrubbers to chinese made eBay scrubbers there cheap and easy to make they do work but require tinkering to make them perfect. turbo scrubbers are hands down the best point blank. do a google search and you will get it working

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same as the op first posted except mine is all original parts and plumbing that came with it from the brs TV bundle.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my unit the CW 100 running for two weeks. Producing algae already which is great. I also just spent the last hour and a half sopping up water off my floor coming from the scrubber. I’m not sure where and I’m getting ready to investigate now that I’ve cleaned things up. I’m pretty disturbed.
After reading this post I’m sensing a trend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 42

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After further review it’s definitely the spray bar inlet area allowing water to spew in all directions. The more water flow I allowed the worse it gets.

Last edited:

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I started using an O-ring on the ends of spray bar, in 2008. Problem of course is eliminated with current models, because that was one of the most requested fixes.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Re assembled the screen and bar, being careful to keep everything as aligned as possible. First attempt moved the spewing to the far side. UGH! Second attempt was successful, both ends are dry. I also discovered that it’s easy to see the problem coming. Looking at the unit, if a drip drip is occurring on either end inside the chamber, something is mis aligned. I’ve seen the drip all week, and it bothered me, but I assumed it was not an issue. Higher flow is working also.
I love the unit, but I would Re design the spray bar and screen configuration. Also might consider a more sealed top section. Just ideas, I’m not an engineer. I count on BRS to test this stuff out. I think they do a great job for the most part. Overall, I’m happy.......time will tell.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.75 gallons in 2 minutes 39 seconds is still only 130 GPH. Nowhere near what Clearwater is telling me I should get through this thing (175GPH+).
According to PVC pipe websites a 1/2" pipe with No pressure will flow 200GPH

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back