BRS

elysics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ah. I didn't think there was a sump involved. When I read about it, all I learned was that it doesn't touch the air. Having trouble finding enough info on this to figure it out! Also very new to plumbing. Don't worry I will get help.
Nah, the sump is entirely separate, the closed loop is for flow, not filtering

I guess you could plumb reactors into it, but maintenance wouldnt be fun

Lazy's Coral House

monicalooze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Nah, the sump is entirely separate, the closed loop is for flow, not filtering

I guess you could plumb reactors into it, but maintenance wouldnt be fun
Yeah I think instead of this I'm going to try a glass Mame overflow into a sump and hide the power heads behind rock. That was my original plan, but then I started getting curious about closed loops. I just want it to look like a glass box with a tide pool in it. Zero equipment showing.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Maybe I don't get it, but how do you filter the water in a closed loop? For my next build, I don't want to see ANY equipment, but I don't understand how you'd be able to add mechanical, chemical. Etc filtration. Is it possible to add a fuge or a chaeto reactor?

Auqascaping is the best way to hide plumbing and equipment. Here's a video of one of my systems and several of a system I helped a friend set up.

Plumbing layout

Sump layout

Aquascaping

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah I think instead of this I'm going to try a glass Mame overflow into a sump and hide the power heads behind rock. That was my original plan, but then I started getting curious about closed loops. I just want it to look like a glass box with a tide pool in it. Zero equipment showing.
Years ago I thought hiding powerheads behind my rocks was a good idea, until they started getting clogged and needed to be pulled out. Turned into a royal pita.

Lazy's Coral House

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Years ago I thought hiding powerheads behind my rocks was a good idea, until they started getting clogged and needed to be pulled out. Turned into a royal pita.

Couldn't agree with you more! :D I've seen setups where I had to leave power heads behind rocks unplugged because there was just no way to get them out without pulling half the corals and rock out.

monicalooze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m running a closed loop on my 300g fowlr and I love how you can conceal the returns under rocks giving you a cleaner less cluttered look in the tank. Have pics in my build thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-300g-fowlr.351571/
Doesn't the return have to go at the top? Or can it go at the bottom? And then what do you do for an overflow that you can disguise? Also I'm doing a nano with this if that matters.

monicalooze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Doesn't the return have to go at the top? Or can it go at the bottom? And then what do you do for an overflow that you can disguise? Also I'm doing a nano with this if that matters.
I’m running a closed loop on my 300g fowlr and I love how you can conceal the returns under rocks giving you a cleaner less cluttered look in the tank. Have pics in my build thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-300g-fowlr.351571/
Ah I just looked at your build thread. You have an opaque back....I want the whole back to be clear, like this, but ideally without the power head.

89BF1E40-EC07-4CEF-A445-241321A41FE9.png

lagatbezan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ah I just looked at your build thread. You have an opaque back....I want the whole back to be clear, like this, but ideally without the power head.

89BF1E40-EC07-4CEF-A445-241321A41FE9.png
Yeah, my returns for my closed loop are tucked under the rocks and you can hardly see them.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

• YES and I keep it updated

Votes: 133 40.8%
  • YES but I don't keep it updated

Votes: 62 19.0%
  • NO but I want to create one

Votes: 86 26.4%
  • NO not interested in starting a build thread or journal

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.1%
PremiumAquatics.com