Closed loop or not

Vareefer804

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 120 g rimless tank w starphire glass equipped w a closed loop system.. With that said my lfs is telling me that the closed loop system in general isn't great and I shouldn't use it, any thoughts on this, it's a really nice set up

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vareefer, normally I would agree that closed loop set ups has lost it's appeal and with so many other options (in terms of flow), you could do better but... I was shown otherwise. I wish so badly to remember who I just saw using quite a few Sea Swirls instead of something like a Vortech or Tunze.. and it looks spectacular both in terms of looks and growth. If I remember who's tank i was looking at, I'll throw in the link.

OP
OP
V

Vareefer804

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I think I'm going to keep the closed loop
53aacdab.jpg

a9bd7d65.jpg

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looks like the previous owner did not believe in maintenance. Lol. Throw some diluted content in there, give it a nice bath and make it look new. I would also change the hoses just for aesthetics

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, regarding the closed loop. I feel they work well. It just depends how green you want to go as some closed loop pumps can consume a lot of electricity and would poetically not be as quiet plus you lose the ability to have random flow.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the closed loop personally. I had one on my 75g and liked it alot, go with atleast 1200-1500 gph and you should be good. You will still want to have a couple powerheads IMO, but the CL helps so its not so cluttered w/ powerheads IMO.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, regarding the closed loop. I feel they work well. It just depends how green you want to go as some closed loop pumps can consume a lot of electricity and would poetically not be as quiet plus you lose the ability to have random flow.

Definitely true, alot of CL pumps use more power and give less flow then a powerhead or two would, and I wouldn't use them exclusively (atleast not on a tank this size) with decent small pumps being available. As far as the randomness, could put a sea swirl on it or still add a couple koralias or a vortech to mix it up ;)

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the closed loop personally. I had one on my 75g and liked it alot, go with atleast 1200-1500 gph and you should be good. You will still want to have a couple powerheads IMO, but the CL helps so its not so cluttered w/ powerheads IMO.

If you are going to add power heads, it defeats the purpose of going closed loop. Jmo

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I do agree having 7-8 ph's in the tank ready does not look to good

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I do agree having 7-8 ph's in the tank ready does not look to good

IMO, thats the main reason to use a CL... to help cut down the use of power heads. A good mix of different types of flow from different sources is the best and gives the most random flow.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a steady flow coming from a constantly on CL, and throw a powerhead on a timer on both can help create a random flow if placed properly.... the powerhead will push the CL flow around a bit randomizing that from blowing directly where its pointed to getting mixed up with the powerhead flow and being blown around a little more, kind of the same idea as having 2 powerheads pointed right at eachother but slightly different since your throwing one on a timer....

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of closed loops. I also think it can help to add a power head or two to help diversify the flow.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 6 foot tank with just a closed loop for flow. It runs off a Reeflo Dart and OM 4 way and I love it. Absolutely no powerheads in the tank and I have no intention on ever using them.

Also against popular belief, the educator/penductor/flow accelerator devices do in fact work. My previous tank have them on the closed loop and I loved them. I am going to be putting them on this tank as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back