Closed loop or Vortech

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a lot of posts with closed loop systems. I know they are older technology, just looking for some first hand experience to help me decide so I don't regret my decision later.

I am looking at upgrading my current 210 AGA tank to a 448 gallon 96x36x30 MRC peninsula hybrid glass tank. Bare bottom.

The tank will be on the first floor with the sump in a fish room directly below in the basement. I will be using an Abyzz A200 as a return pump.

Option A: closed loop only: (2) Abyzz A200 pumps split between (2) 2" drains and (6) 3/4 returns. This option should provide adequate flow, cleanest look, quite; provide a backup to my main return pump in case of failure. Drawbacks - pump expense, energy consumption, no battery backup.

Option B: Closed loop / Vortec: (1) Abyzz A 200 pump, (1) 2" drain; (3) 3/4" returns. Supplemented with Vortech MP60/ MP40. This option allows battery backup and return pump backup.

Option C: Vortech only: (4) MP60 or (2) MP60 and (2) MP40: adequate flow, battery backup, plus I currently own (1) MP40 and (1) MP60. Drawback- noise and not as clean looking, cleaning maintenance.

Thanks in advance!

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to pardon me as I don't run a closed loop, but Option B sounds like the best of both worlds for you. It's the only option you've listed here with no drawbacks.

What about Option A, and then the addition of Vortech's as you see fit if you so need or want them? With all pumps being controllable, you can cater flow to your needs without the worry of being too much or too little. Create your baseline, and add onto it if needed. With a closed loop, you can always cap off bulkheads and close valves right?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like closed loop. You can use rfg nozzles or eductors (not sure if I'm working it right, but they help create more flow)

Check this video out from Jake Adams

OP
OP
T

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to pardon me as I don't run a closed loop, but Option B sounds like the best of both worlds for you. It's the only option you've listed here with no drawbacks.

What about Option A, and then the addition of Vortech's as you see fit if you so need or want them? With all pumps being controllable, you can cater flow to your needs without the worry of being too much or too little. Create your baseline, and add onto it if needed. With a closed loop, you can always cap off bulkheads and close valves right?
Thanks, yes the bulkheads could be closed via valves. It is the best compromise to go with B, I would like to hear more from others with closed loops before I decide.

OP
OP
T

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like closed loop. You can use rfg nozzles or eductors (not sure if I'm working it right, but they help create more flow)

Thank you, I’ll check out

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running option "C" on an 11.5 foot barebottom peninsula, plus four regular sized eductors on the returns. I have a reverse flow siphon breaker, so i can aim the eductors lower in the tank with extra protection against a siphon disaster. I am running a single reeflo Manta for the display and two frag tanks.... 1.5 inch return split to four eductors. I also suspended all the rockwork on little legs to give the current a clear path to sweep the bottom glass.

There was a lot of trial and error making the non adjustable AC pump work - using adjustable DC pumps would have been sweet.

Three MP60s are pushing water on the bottom glass down the length of the penisula, a fourth - at the end of the flow - cuts it back at 90 degrees on the far side (trial and error). Since thee returns and overflows are on the same side as the 3 MP60s... I couldn't really create an efficient gyre type of flow. I found that by aiming the eductors outward and down... I was able to get a stream of water coming back from the far and of the tank and sweeping the surface clear. Kind of like a really inefficient and turbulent gyre.

So... I nearly have my cake and ate it too - except for ONE MP60 in clear view - which is a moderate annoyance since I put so much time into trying to hide all the plumbing.

I have seen some really clever things done with returns, eductors, and sea swirls, which I may need to rely on later and I might yet find a way to hide that fourth MP60.

No regrets though... I really like having the cabinet space under the tank clear for storage.... and there is no task which requires me crawling in the care of my tank (thus... no closed loop).

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges

But please do not mount your closed loop pumps like he did. If you watch the video he has the Vectra's mounted under the tank close to the bottom unsupported. As it is now there is exceptional great risk of a tank fracture and / or bulk head leak.

Pumps have to be secure, non moving, as they have rotational force not to mention torque if alternating speeds or on/off.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would ( and do) option B. Use a closed loop and supplement the flow.
You say old tech. But I say it's just a good idea that's been around for a while.
A closed loop is a great way to get flow at the outer end of a peninsula tank.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the closed loop route, what area of the tank will you drain from and to where will you return flow? Will you drill holes for both or just for the drain and return via nozzle?

OP
OP
T

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drains and returns on left side of tank for filtration. Closed loop drain and returns would be on far right pushing towards overflow

OP
OP
T

TPE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drains and returns on left side of tank for filtration. Closed loop drain and returns would be on far right pushing towards overflow drilled bottom

deleau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TPE I'm in almost the exact same situation as you...current 265g mixed reef and looking for an 8'-10' peninsula tank as an upgrade. The current one will stay running/intact (it's at the office) until the new one at home is ready.

I've been considering the same designs...closed loop, supplemental Vortechs, etc. I'd love to share ideas and thoughts on this thread or via PMs.

I will have sand in the bottom of my tank for wrasses (and personal preference), and in my current 265 I don't like the constant, small pool of film on the non-overflow end, so I'd like to solve that issue.

I've been successful with 4x MP40s on the corners, so a similar setup is the fallback, but if I can clean it up more, now is the time to consider different things.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B - Is what I am doing on my 400 gallon. I only have 1 hole drilled for 1 closed loop and will feed it too 2 seaswirls in the 2 front corners and one more outlet in the middle. 2 MP60s on either side of the tank, 1 seaswirl return pump and when I need more flow I have a seasweep on hand and can just crank the flow to my closed loop. Cleaning 2 MP60 wet side monthly is easy so I will do it, if its more power heads inside I just won't service them the way I know I need too. My closed loop should maintain flow strength I hope for at least 3-6 months before cleaning pump itself (which is current a vectra m1).

Back