Closed loop question

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put the down on a large tank and am engineering my filtration. The design I’m going with is a closed loop as well as an overflow down to a sump & filtration area. I have not dealt with closed loops before but was wondering if I can/should plumb the uv and chiller off the closed loop or keep it off of the return from the sump.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the UV I would recommend a stand alone pump as most UV sterilizers work with lower amounts of flow however you could manifold off of your closed loop. I do not have experience with chillers but if they have a recommended GPH of flow then the same rules would apply. I would also consider redundancy within your system to determine if sharing a pump between this equipment fits into your plans for the potential of equipment failures.

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- that helps. I’ve realized it’s not the best idea because you lose the ability to vary flow throughout the day by using the pump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pump ramping and you want to minimize the complexity as a leak in a closed loop line can be a significant problem.

Back