Closed Loop System Pics and benefits

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals, Does anyone have pictures of a closed loop reef aquarium system...I'm looking to possibly upgrade in the near future and I am having a hard time getting info, specs, pictures and benefits as to the closed loop system. From what I have heard I don't see any reason that all reef aquariums should not be closed loop systems.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a closed loop on my 125G. 2" supply with 6 1" outputs on an OM 4-way. I have some design flaws in mine I think and will be fixed. I am switching from 6 to 4 outputs. Also a 2" hole is hard to find a nice low profile strainer for it so I would recommend using 2 1.5" holes to supply a 2" pump...

Pics are in my build thread if you need them.

OP
OP
EdansClownHouse

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a closed loop on my 125G. 2" supply with 6 1" outputs on an OM 4-way. I have some design flaws in mine I think and will be fixed. I am switching from 6 to 4 outputs. Also a 2" hole is hard to find a nice low profile strainer for it so I would recommend using 2 1.5" holes to supply a 2" pump...Pics are in my build thread if you need them.
I would love to hear of anything you would do different if you were to do it all over again.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do two different intakes which combine into a single pipe to feed the CL pump...

Look at SPA stores to find a low profile strainer that will fit the threads in your bulkheads. There is a really nice one all over for 1.5" threads.

Use SCH 80 bulkheads. I am kinda nervous having a 2" hole in the middle of my tank with a normal ABS bulkhead... They are different hole sizes though so get the right hole saw (oops)

Contrary to some other threads out there, you can have a successful full SPS reef with just a closed loop. You DO NOT need powerheads if it is done right.

My first tank the CL was drilled into the back wall for 2 outputs. This time I went over the top of the tank with elbows. Both ways worked, but I feel I have more flexibility by going over the top instead of drilling the back of the tank for outputs. You are not stuck to the place you drilled that way.

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loops are great. They hide the plumbing and when set up with some of the switching outlets, you get random flow. Some of the tanks that designed themselves around closed loops look great. The fact that you dont have cords and that you cant see any outlets is awesome.

I would not say that they hands down beat powerheads though. Powerheads have come a long way and operate with very little engergy. Most closed loops use large pumps. So energy efficiency is a concern for closed loops. You would think that 1 large pump would also be cheaper, but as soon as you add things like OMs you add additional cost. You are also adding another item that can fail. Powerheads have more redundancy built in (not likely that all powerheads will fail at one time). These considerations are why you don't see as many closed loops as you think. Also, everyone is not comfortable having that many holes in their tanks.

Cdness - thanks for the tip about strainers. do you mind telling me what strainer you use for your 2"? I have a 2" pipe in my sump so I am not worried about size. I would like to see an option for a strainer - right now I just use a downturned elbow.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a sump I'd just use the normal one you can get at most online stores... I wanted a lower profile one to basically reduce the footprint into the center of my tank. Spread the strainer wider to allow for less suction force in case a fish swam by it. but not be obtrusive sticking into the tank too far.

I ended up having to custom make one. It is by no means ideal and the first model doesn't even look all that good, but I found out the ABS plastic they use can be glues if you use PVC glue and PVC primer.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to some other threads out there, you can have a successful full SPS reef with just a closed loop. You DO NOT need powerheads if it is done right.

My first tank the CL was drilled into the back wall for 2 outputs. This time I went over the top of the tank with elbows. Both ways worked, but I feel I have more flexibility by going over the top instead of drilling the back of the tank for outputs. You are not stuck to the place you drilled that way.

I agree 100%,also by going over the top with the outputs,you have that many less holes in the tank to worry about leaking,that is how I did with mine too...

I use a ReeFlo Hammerhead and an Ocean motion 4 way on my CL,but I also use an MP60 at about half throttle,I love the battery back up on it during a power outage and is the biggest reason for me having it,I can't always be home to get the generator hooked up

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loops are great. They hide the plumbing and when set up with some of the switching outlets, you get random flow. Some of the tanks that designed themselves around closed loops look great. The fact that you dont have cords and that you cant see any outlets is awesome.

I would not say that they hands down beat powerheads though. Powerheads have come a long way and operate with very little engergy. Most closed loops use large pumps. So energy efficiency is a concern for closed loops. You would think that 1 large pump would also be cheaper, but as soon as you add things like OMs you add additional cost. You are also adding another item that can fail. Powerheads have more redundancy built in (not likely that all powerheads will fail at one time). These considerations are why you don't see as many closed loops as you think. Also, everyone is not comfortable having that many holes in their tanks.

Cdness - thanks for the tip about strainers. do you mind telling me what strainer you use for your 2"? I have a 2" pipe in my sump so I am not worried about size. I would like to see an option for a strainer - right now I just use a downturned elbow.

something I'd like to add,with my CL compared to my MP60,the MP60 moves a lot more water,uses less that 10% of the power the CL uses and cost less to purchase,that's before you figure in all the PVC plumbing and time and work it took to install,and even though it looks better inside the tank,it is a mess of pipes on the back of the tank...plus the MP60 has the battery back up in case of a power failure,which is the biggest reason I wanted it in the first place.....

I love my CL system but if I had it to do over,I'd have 2 MP60s and no CL even though this 1 MP60 looks like a subwoofer mounted to the side of my tank LOL

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than aesthetics (not seeing PH's in the tank), there is no benefit to a CL.

Vareefer804

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank so be easy on me..
F4C1AA7A-89B9-4105-8549-6F3E60CA9DA3-12629-00001613D3B2F425.jpg

487c602b.jpg

53aacdab.jpg

OP
OP
EdansClownHouse

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100%,also by going over the top with the outputs,you have that many less holes in the tank to worry about leaking,that is how I did with mine too...

I use a ReeFlo Hammerhead and an Ocean motion 4 way on my CL,but I also use an MP60 at about half throttle,I love the battery back up on it during a power outage and is the biggest reason for me having it,I can't always be home to get the generator hooked up

Do you have any pics of your system? TY! :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one downfall to a closed loop... Power consumption... Besides that there great I have one on my cube with a ocean motions 4way "zero power heads" it's more than enough.... Click th link in my signature I have a full build and plenty of
Pix... Should be in the first 10 pages or so....

OP
OP
EdansClownHouse

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one downfall to a closed loop... Power consumption... Besides that there great I have one on my cube with a ocean motions 4way "zero power heads" it's more than enough.... Click th link in my signature I have a full build and plenty of
Pix... Should be in the first 10 pages or so....

Thanks, I have been scrolling through all your pages....VERY FUN! TY for sharing ;) I wish there was a like button next to everyone's post...it's hard to thank everyone responding and helping me out.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of 2 pumps on my 300. I had two Darts, now I have a Dolphin 5600 gph and a Dart 3600 gph pumps via 12 returns;

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a closed loop on my 90 gallon reef with a ampmaster 3000gph pump.. works very well, have had it this way for 4-5 yrs now no leaks..

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots of how I plumbed my closed loop on my recent 300g tank build.
Eggcrate-600x398.jpg

I cut slits and drilled holes in each of the four pipes attached to the 1" outputs of my OM 4way.
Holes_2-600x398.jpg

Holes_1-600x398.jpg

I have a Sequence 5500gph pump driving my CL system. Here is a shot of all four pipes and the 1.5" intake.
First_sand-600x398.jpg

I am using the CL pipes as a support structure for my rock work. My goal is to have many random smaller currents instead of four blasting jets in the tank.
Rock_3-600x398.jpg

Rock_4-600x398.jpg

Here is a shot with all of the rock in it as I began to fill it. All of the pipe is covered. The random currents are very cool.
DSC_3693-485x316.jpg

Back