Status
Not open for further replies.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of UV produced by tubes is much superior and well distributed than diodes, Oreo. Practically speaking LEDs won't make up for the VHOs in the long run.
I know we're not talking about the halides. The video was to illustrate how weak of "UV diodes", practically speaking. Not worthy. Not efficient in reality.

And to bring the main subject of the thread here... There is absolutely no LED that will have the same spectrum AND RESULTS (what everyone should be looking after!) of an actinic VHO, period. The reefbrites are an option, but not an absolute substitute.

I have to go sleep. I gotta work tomorrow. ;)
Good night, Oreo.

OP
OP
T

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @jda and Grandis I laughed at "trying to stay away" I wanted to post this on your MH/LED thread but didn't want to derail it (further :))

Kind of a bummer. Having reefed for 30 years with everything my personal opinion mirror's @jda I still prefer the Super Actinic over any T5 or LED I've seen. It just seems that someone could nail copying one.

Oreo, thanks. I've use several Orphek bars, even some premarket versions. Nice but still not a match. Also used Radion and ReefBreeders. Sounds like ReefBrite XHO is most used. Someone would sell the crap out of a perfect copy of Super Actinic.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of UV produced by tubes is much superior and well distributed than diodes, Oreo. Practically speaking LEDs won't make up for the VHOs in the long run.
I know we're not talking about the halides. The video was to illustrate how weak of "UV diodes", practically speaking. Not worthy. Not efficient in reality.

And to bring the main subject of the thread here... There is absolutely no LED that will have the same spectrum AND RESULTS (what everyone should be looking after!) of an actinic VHO, period. The reefbrites are an option, but not an absolute substitute.

I have to go sleep. I gotta work tomorrow. ;)
Good night, Oreo.

reefbrights are the WORST match for a VHO AFAICT.

Awaiting spectrum/data for the amount of UV in a VHO.
Granted a ton of blue photons (#'s matter)

AGAIN:
Since ultraviolet radiation is generated to excite the phosphors contained within the glass tube of fluorescent lamps, and the name of the company is UV Lighting, it would be logical to conclude that these lights produce ultraviolet radiation. In fact, these almost all UV radiation is absorbed by the internal phosphors or the glass tube. Hence, concerns about UV with these particular lamps are non-issues (but be aware that some T5 lamps – such as those marketed for use with reptiles and transmitting UV-A and UV-B – will generate significant amounts of potentially harmful radiation).

Blue line is the super actinic..
image024-ed532dbea7ccfb438b23689846f35e5f.jpg

Technically THE ONLY tube being discussed here.. but tubes in general are about 1/10 if not less than MH's see the "other" thread..

ONE thing that no LED diode can reproduce is the narrow bandwidth green spike of the VHO (or any tube/Mh for that matter).

Soo think that is an "issue"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some greenish looking (when directly looking at the diodes) in some of the Orphek I tried and they definitely didn't cast a green look into the tank. Seemed to help with some pop.

I may just try to figure out how to incorporate a old bulb. Too bad Aquatic Life doesn't offer an option to run in their hybrids.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbrights are the WORST match for a VHO AFAICT.

Awaiting spectrum/data for the amount of UV in a VHO.
Granted a ton of blue photons (#'s matter)

AGAIN:

Blue line is the super actinic..
image024-ed532dbea7ccfb438b23689846f35e5f.jpg

Technically THE ONLY tube being discussed here.. but tubes in general are about 1/10 if not less than MH's see the "other" thread..

ONE thing that no LED diode can reproduce is the narrow bandwidth green spike of the VHO (or any tube/Mh for that matter).

Soo think that is an "issue"?
You always think only about spectrum, that is the problem.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always think only about spectrum, that is the problem.

No... that was the orig question ..
Wasn't considering the "voodoo" aspect in the VHOS..
BTW APPARENTLY you ignore Tuillo regarding looking at spectrums ect..

STILL awaiting proof of UV levels below about 400nm (reality) from those tubes.

Nobody seems to be considering the "UBER" wattage of the VHO's compared to the wimpy LED's at the time this all started..

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Visually I think the "UV" leds are the closest you are going to get to the old Superactinics. I'm harkening back here lol, but they were way more purple than blue. In all fairness though, If you really want the look of vhos, why not go the distance and retrofit:)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some greenish looking (when directly looking at the diodes) in some of the Orphek I tried and they definitely didn't cast a green look into the tank. Seemed to help with some pop.

I may just try to figure out how to incorporate a old bulb. Too bad Aquatic Life doesn't offer an option to run in their hybrids.
Some strips added cyans (blue green)......a spectrum missing or low from most or all LED's prior to the "modern age"

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... that was the orig question ..
Wasn't considering the "voodoo" aspect in the VHOS..
BTW APPARENTLY you ignore Tuillo regarding looking at spectrums ect..

STILL awaiting proof of UV levels (reality) from those tubes.
I think you can find all the proofs you like man.
Using texts saying UV is harmful and such... it's a matter of proper application.
It's like LED companies using wattage to claim their products are better than halides...
The ReefBrites will be just an OPTION for Actinic VHOs but not a substitution, I said. I never said ReefBrite is the closest matching for VHO's spectrum.
You are confused, man.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can find all the proofs you like man.
Using texts saying UV is harmful and such... it's a matter of proper application.
It's like LED companies using wattage to claim their products are better than halides...
The ReefBrites will be just an OPTION for Actinic VHOs but not a substitution, I said. I never said ReefBrite is the closest matching for VHO's spectrum.
You are confused, man.

Why do you continually go off tangent?
NEVER mentioned UV damage in THIS thread..
Reefbrights from what I can tell are simple "royal blue" bars..Old school thinking..

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t kessils have a 380nm UV in their cluster? While orphek doesn’t list it on the bars don’t they also have a 380uv in the full fixture or am I mistaken?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here:
"Reef Brite XHO Dimmable High Power LED units encompass cutting edge LED technology. Utilizing 3 watt LED’s for maximum performance and output, our XHO LED units are great replacements for T5HO or VHO lighting. These versatile units can also be used to replace any standard strip light or to create a custom lighting system."

1585416997532.png

Not a substitute, Oreo. Not a substitute.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here:
"Reef Brite XHO Dimmable High Power LED units encompass cutting edge LED technology. Utilizing 3 watt LED’s for maximum performance and output, our XHO LED units are great replacements for T5HO or VHO lighting. These versatile units can also be used to replace any standard strip light or to create a custom lighting system."

1585416997532.png

Not a substitute, Oreo. Not a substitute.
NOW you use MARKETING?
How funny is that!

STILL waiting for proof of UV from VHO tubes..preferably w/ numbers..

THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION was about matching spectrums, no more no less, you and jda made it a crusade and a religion,,
btw thanks for the (pointless) travelogue earlier..

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you continually go off tangent?
NEVER mentioned UV damage in THIS thread..
Reefbrights from what I can tell are simple "royal blue" bars..Old school thinking..
You quoted in post 16:
"However, there is little doubt that very strong doses of UV-A sometimes seen in aquaria (through use of unshielded metal halide or mercury vapor lamps) can be harmful. See here for details:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/8/aafeature"
I'm not sure why you quoted that besides trying to use it.
Never mind... We know many people using halides without the glasses with astonishing results too. It's a matter of application.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You quoted in post 16:
"However, there is little doubt that very strong doses of UV-A sometimes seen in aquaria (through use of unshielded metal halide or mercury vapor lamps) can be harmful. See here for details:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/8/aafeature"
I'm not sure why you quoted that besides trying to use it.
Never mind... We know many people using halides without the glasses with astonishing results too. It's a matter of application.
Well small warning but since these TUBES don't apply.. what's the issue..

Again from the SAME author..

Since ultraviolet radiation is generated to excite the phosphors contained within the glass tube of fluorescent lamps, and the name of the company is UV Lighting, it would be logical to conclude that these lights produce ultraviolet radiation. In fact, these almost all UV radiation is absorbed by the internal phosphors or the glass tube. Hence, concerns about UV with these particular lamps are non-issues (but be aware that some T5 lamps – such as those marketed for use with reptiles and transmitting UV-A and UV-B – will generate significant amounts of potentially harmful radiation).

Why are you purposefully ignoring that?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really , don't know what to say....It's a really boring (to me) vid..

Post time stamps about what you think pertains to this discussion..
Bring your numbers... Do you think they pertain to the actual reef tanks in this discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back