Closet conversion for a 6 foot 100 gallon tank

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a 3/14 plywood top and the top 2x6s are lagged into the wall studs with 3 inch #14 screws. I'm thinking I might want a front support but I'm also thinking that the 3/4 plywood will help spread the load to the outer edges which are well supported. The tank itself will be sitting 6 inches back in the wider part of the closet. The front will be using some 1 inch thick mahogany I have extra of as well as plywood panels.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the front support at 90 degrees to the wall on the left side at the very least. If you think about it, all the load from the front cross beam is on the screws you have toenailed into the side 2x6. The screws will still be experiencing unecessary shear force even with the plywood there.

OP
OP
DopamineKata

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the front support at 90 degrees to the wall on the left side at the very least. If you think about it, all the load from the front cross beam is on the screws you have toenailed into the side 2x6. The screws will still be experiencing unecessary shear force even with the plywood there.

Thanks! I kept waffling on it. Adding another support 1/3 of the way in still leaves me plenty of room for a wide opening.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it will hold on a tank this small, but your corners should really have vertical supports, not just the horizontal 2/4 held up with screws in the corners,

also would add 2 more cross braces under the top for you plywood to rest on. it sure wont hurt

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back