Cloudy Aquarium and Heater Complication

jmira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When allowing a brand new set up aquarium with live sand (not rinsed) to settle, should the filter be running? I left the aquarium to settle for 12 hours, filter off, heater running. I understand the tank can remain cloudy for 24-48 hrs. Should I turn on the filter now? Additionally, the heater turns off when the water around it is warm, but isn't warming the entire tank. I assumed turning on the filter would move the water enough around the heater to warm the entirety of the tank. I do have a separate sinking thermometer in the tank to see if that will catch a change in temperature. Otherwise, I'm unsure of the issue. Faulty equipment?

DedElvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When allowing a brand new set up aquarium with live sand (not rinsed) to settle, should the filter be running? I left the aquarium to settle for 12 hours, filter off, heater running. I understand the tank can remain cloudy for 24-48 hrs. Should I turn on the filter now? Additionally, the heater turns off when the water around it is warm, but isn't warming the entire tank. I assumed turning on the filter would move the water enough around the heater to warm the entirety of the tank. I do have a separate sinking thermometer in the tank to see if that will catch a change in temperature. Otherwise, I'm unsure of the issue. Faulty equipment?
I'm no pro by any means, but run your filter and keep the water circulating. That should help your temp issues and have the thermostat stay more accurate. Besides, the next time you stir that sand for any reason, you will cloud up again for a short time. At least that's my experience. Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jmira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no pro by any means, but run your filter and keep the water circulating. That should help your temp issues and have the thermostat stay more accurate. Besides, the next time you stir that sand for any reason, you will cloud up again for a short time. At least that's my experience. Good luck!
I will, hoping all goes well! Thanks

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back