Cloudy eye Achilles tang

KaneMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm kinda lost. I have an Achilles tang that started to have both cloudy eyes back a month ago. I took him out right away once I noticed it and dipped him in freshwater. I did not see any fluke come off so I proceed to treat him with amoxicillin for 14 days. After 14 days both eyes cleared up, so I put him back to the main tank. The next day one of his eyes got cloudy again. So I took him out to the QT and treat him with amoxicillin + erythromycin for another 14 days. Then his eye looked like clearing up (under white light), so I put him back to the display tank at night. In the morning, I looked at him the eye looked clear, went to work and came home to find his same eye turned cloudy again. So, I decided to take him out one more time, did a formalin dip and treat him with metroplex with fluke medicine for a week. At this point, his eye looked clear under a small blue light in the QT tank. I decided to put him back to the display tank. This morning I looked at his eye and it looked clear under indirect sunlight. Then I went to work and came home today found that his same eye is cloudy again. What's going on? I don't know how to treat him anymore, plus, we're just about to leave for a 10 days vacation. Should I let him be? One behavior that I observed every time I put him back to the display tank, he always swim to ask for help from a fire shrimp in the tank. I'm not sure anymore if it is some kind of medication-resistant strain of infection or it is permanent damage of his eye? Other tangs or other fish in the tank don't have cloudy eyes. He is still very active and eating just fine. No fight amongst the tangs. I also attached a pic of him that I just took right at this moment.

Habitants in the tank
2 fire gobies
1 Scopas tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Blue hippo tang
1 Achilles tang
1 Mandarin goby
1 Yellow wrasse
3 Pajamas cardinals
2 clowns
inverts
CUCs
Corals and nems

Water parameter
13 ppm Nitrates
0.1 ppm phosphates
0 nitrite and ammonia
Alkalinity
pH 8.2-8.4
All fish and corals have gone through proper medication and QT before getting in the display tank
No ich, no velvet or other diseases

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you in advance

IMG_0327.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This needs quick treatment in quarantine setting. Use Maracyn 2 which works well with this. Eyes suggests bacterial issue and possibly water quality issues focusing on ammonia and nitrate

OP
OP
KaneMN

KaneMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This needs quick treatment in quarantine setting. Use Maracyn 2 which works well with this. Eyes suggests bacterial issue and possibly water quality issues focusing on ammonia and nitrate
How can I focus on ammonia that is 0? My nitrate is 13 ppm which can be easily corrected by WC. I’m Just wondering if my display tank has some kind of bugs that only Archilles is susceptible for? I forgot to mentioned that when I treated first the fish in the QT tank with amoxi, I also treated the whole DT with amoxi for 14 days as well.

I’m afraid that if I took him out to treat will not be effective because he was cured in QT every time but it comes back after I put him back to the DT for a day. I kinda look for a solution that I can treat the whole tank (if possible).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm kinda lost. I have an Achilles tang that started to have both cloudy eyes back a month ago. I took him out right away once I noticed it and dipped him in freshwater. I did not see any fluke come off so I proceed to treat him with amoxicillin for 14 days. After 14 days both eyes cleared up, so I put him back to the main tank. The next day one of his eyes got cloudy again. So I took him out to the QT and treat him with amoxicillin + erythromycin for another 14 days. Then his eye looked like clearing up (under white light), so I put him back to the display tank at night. In the morning, I looked at him the eye looked clear, went to work and came home to find his same eye turned cloudy again. So, I decided to take him out one more time, did a formalin dip and treat him with metroplex with fluke medicine for a week. At this point, his eye looked clear under a small blue light in the QT tank. I decided to put him back to the display tank. This morning I looked at his eye and it looked clear under indirect sunlight. Then I went to work and came home today found that his same eye is cloudy again. What's going on? I don't know how to treat him anymore, plus, we're just about to leave for a 10 days vacation. Should I let him be? One behavior that I observed every time I put him back to the display tank, he always swim to ask for help from a fire shrimp in the tank. I'm not sure anymore if it is some kind of medication-resistant strain of infection or it is permanent damage of his eye? Other tangs or other fish in the tank don't have cloudy eyes. He is still very active and eating just fine. No fight amongst the tangs. I also attached a pic of him that I just took right at this moment.

Habitants in the tank
2 fire gobies
1 Scopas tang
1 Orange shoulder tang
1 Blue hippo tang
1 Achilles tang
1 Mandarin goby
1 Yellow wrasse
3 Pajamas cardinals
2 clowns
inverts
CUCs
Corals and nems

Water parameter
13 ppm Nitrates
0.1 ppm phosphates
0 nitrite and ammonia
Alkalinity
pH 8.2-8.4
All fish and corals have gone through proper medication and QT before getting in the display tank
No ich, no velvet or other diseases

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you in advance

IMG_0327.jpg
As I read through your post, I was leaning towards Neobenedenia flukes as the cause, it all seemed to match up (you might have missed them in the dip water if they were small). However, I then got to the picture and that does not look like Neobenedenia to me. It wasn't clear - is it just the left eye that is cloudy now? If so, that really points to some injury. Maracyn 1 (Erythromycin) is commonly used to combat that, but the trouble is that achilles don't handle being moved really well, and catching and moving them to a treatment tank works against the issue.

Here is an article I wrote on fish eye diseases, in case any of that might help:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How can I focus on ammonia that is 0? My nitrate is 13 ppm which can be easily corrected by WC. I’m Just wondering if my display tank has some kind of bugs that only Archilles is susceptible for? I forgot to mentioned that when I treated first the fish in the QT tank with amoxi, I also treated the whole DT with amoxi for 14 days as well.

I’m afraid that if I took him out to treat will not be effective because he was cured in QT every time but it comes back after I put him back to the DT for a day. I kinda look for a solution that I can treat the whole tank (if possible).
I say focus on ammonia because you want to assure water quality is good. I should be more clear on ammonia- WHAT TEST KITS ARE YOU USING ?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I just wanted to say that it's great to see the level of care you are providing for your fish. It really is some serious dedication.

I've had eye issues with a fish in the past and it ultimately did turn out to be physical injury. From time to time the fish reinjures itself and I nervously wait for it to recover.

OP
OP
KaneMN

KaneMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read through your post, I was leaning towards Neobenedenia flukes as the cause, it all seemed to match up (you might have missed them in the dip water if they were small). However, I then got to the picture and that does not look like Neobenedenia to me. It wasn't clear - is it just the left eye that is cloudy now? If so, that really points to some injury. Maracyn 1 (Erythromycin) is commonly used to combat that, but the trouble is that achilles don't handle being moved really well, and catching and moving them to a treatment tank works against the issue.

Here is an article I wrote on fish eye diseases, in case any of that might help:

Jay
Thank you Jay! I will check it out and try whatever I can to provide the best care for my fish.

Breach85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave him be.. if he is still eating this is great… boost his immune system, seaweed n frozen soaked with kanaplex n focus.. make sure ur water quality is good, which it being a reef I’m sure it is and let this take its course.. whatever is going on with the eye the
Out of the tank back in the tank, out of the tank back in the tank, out of the tank back in the tank.. your gunna break him down even more.. let him be in the tank and combat it while he is comfortable

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back