Cloudy eye

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a small McCoskers flasher that's currently in QT. He didn't show any signs of flukes or other parasites, but I put him through one course of General cure, during the first course I think he saw his reflection in the glass and started to flash and charge towards his reflection and in doing so, injured his eye (which I observed him rubbing/flashing against the glass). I noticed that his eye started to become cloudy, but gave him a day or two to see if it would clear up. It got a little worse, so I started with erythromycin to help (at least that was the plan), he's had two doses of erythromycin, but no real change in appearance. I know antibiotics take time, but I want to make sure I'm on the right course? I thought about giving him a FW dip to rule out flukes or do a 25% w/c, run carbon for a day, then do a second course of GC?
I can give him a course of furan 2, kanaplex and metro as another option? He's eating well and never refuses food, even during the GC course. Currently feeding LRS w/selcon (3 small feedings each day). I'll try to get a pic.
Meds on hand:
Prazipro
Metro
Erythromycin
Furan 2
Kanaplex
General Cure

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also try a 30 minute medicated bath:
Use methylene blue + a double dose of erythromycin for 30 minutes twice a day.
Thanks! I don't have any methylene blue on hand, but I could pick some up. If I dose the trifecta (Furan 2, Kanaplex & Metro) into the water, what's the protocol? Dose all 3, w/c after 48hrs, then re-dose, w/c 48hrs and carbon? I don't want to chase him around and have him injure his eye even more. I would like to keep the stress level down.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

Great! Thanks for the info. I have seeded media running, plus a sponge filter and a powerhead. I'll drop in an extra airstone to be safe. The QT is a 30g AIO, but I may move everything over to a 10g for simplicity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cheapest and great product is melafix by API. Cloudy eye, fin tail rot, sores, etc

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a quick update, the MB + erythromycin bath seems to have helped and I'll continue to give him baths until it clears up completely. The question is how I should treat the QT during this time? I was thinking of running another course fo GC to clear up any possibility of flukes or running Melafix to help heal?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
E4B2E3AA-5CBA-493C-897C-E5318069264C.png

Here's a quick screenshot from a vid I shot today.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back