Cloudy salt mix and white slime ?

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed the salt yesterday (pour salt into RODI water in the tank). Today the water is quite cloudy (you might not see in the pic but it's cloudier than normal). And there's some white stuff on the water surface and around the powerhead. Is this common? I only have 2 powerhead placed in the middle. No surface agitation. Salt is Instant Ocean.

(black dust at the bottom is just some sand)
20190822_114510.jpg

20190822_114434.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed the salt yesterday (pour salt into RODI water in the tank). Today the water is quite cloudy (you might not see in the pic but it's cloudier than normal). And there's some white stuff on the water surface and around the powerhead. Is this common? I only have 2 powerhead placed in the middle. No surface agitation. Salt is Instant Ocean.
Yes

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little precipitation and normal impurities that were in the salt. The precipitation could possibly be more than usual if you dumped a lot of salt in a short time, in a relatively still tank. That would have created a 'hot spot' where some compunds dissolved faster than others, so things were out of the normal balance right around the big pile of not yet dissolved salt.

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little precipitation and normal impurities that were in the salt. The precipitation could possibly be more than usual if you dumped a lot of salt in a short time, in a relatively still tank. That would have created a 'hot spot' where some compunds dissolved faster than others, so things were out of the normal balance right around the big pile of not yet dissolved salt.

Good explanation. So I should keep thr powerheads running? Should I start the skimmer?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good explanation. So I should keep thr powerheads running? Should I start the skimmer?

Definitely keep the powerheads going. The skimmer won't do anything to the salt, but starting it now will give you a chance to break it in if it's new, and learn how to adjust and manage it.

New skimmers sometimes over-produce bubbles in the first few days to a week. Make sure you know how to adjust it before you plug it in. Keep it set so the water level is as low as possible to limit the chance of flooding.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back