Cloudy tank - possible causes?

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last week or so my tank has become particularly cloudy. I think this is because of a bacteria / algae bloom but I'm not sure. Nearly beaten my current battle with dinos & diatoms and now have run into the issue of a cloudy tank!

Does anyone have any other ideas / suggestions for this?

pH has also shot up from 8.2 to 8.6 this week.

Ammonia : 0
Nitrate : 2
pH: 8.6
Alkalinity: 8
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1280

20211204_165827.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you all running for filtration, ie filter socks, skimmer, etc.
Have got four filter socks and a protein skimmer, although admittedly the protein skimmer has been too high in the water and so perhaps has not been running optimally until yesterday.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cloudy water like this when my nitrate and phosphate bottomed out. Need to increase you nitrates number and what is current phosphate? Do you run carbon? 4 filter socks may be overkill and stripped nitrate out. Maybe run 2 and 2 media cups in case you want to run certain media in your sump.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cloudy water like this when my nitrate and phosphate bottomed out. Need to increase you nitrates number and what is current phosphate? Do you run carbon? 4 filter socks may be overkill and stripped nitrate out. Maybe run 2 and 2 media cups in case you want to run certain media in your sump.
Yeah I've had trouble with my phosphate, Nitrate has been steady around 5 - 10 before today's testing.. phosphate is .02 or .03 but having trouble keeping that up! I actually do run 2 socks and 2 media cups sorry for the mistake in main text!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've had trouble with my phosphate, Nitrate has been steady around 5 - 10 before today's testing.. phosphate is .02 or .03 but having trouble keeping that up! I actually do run 2 socks and 2 media cups sorry for the mistake in main text!
Sounds like you are on the right track. My cloudy water cleared up as I dosed neophos and neonitro to get my numbers up. I now have sufficient fish to keep them up without additives. Also sometimes my trochus snails drop their junk in the water and that clouds up the tank awhile.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on the right track. My cloudy water cleared up as I dosed neophos and neonitro to get my numbers up. I now have sufficient fish to keep them up without additives. Also sometimes my trochus snails drop their junk in the water and that clouds up the tank awhile.
I hope I'm on the right track.. seems like one problem after another early on in this hobby! Thanks for the help

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm on the right track.. seems like one problem after another early on in this hobby! Thanks for the help
I feel your pain. Same problems with my tank but I've tried to maintain a different approach the past few months. Trying to stay more natural rather then adding stuff everytime something goes off. I only run a bag of carbon in my sump now and my skimmer. Only one sock to. I recently set up a chaeto fuge to. I believe taking a more natural approach and letting my 8 month old tank work through these phases as part of the maturing process will work better. Moderate GHA currently but coraline building so hope it will out compete now.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really does look like a bacterial bloom. Assuming you have fish in there, I would be worried about a lack of oxygen. Tune the skimmer and make sure you have some turbulence on top of the water.
Yeah 12 fish in there, thanks for this - planning on a large water change too

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back