Cloudy tank with film over the top of the water??

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so my 50 gallon mixed Reef tank (10 months old) has had these two issues on and off for a couple month now.

the water is almost constantly white/cloudy, and a on and off brown film layer that only floats on the top. I have lots of flow.

I have a canister filter, and skimmer. But I’m wounding if it may not be enough?
I run chemi pure, and normally carbon when I’m not dosing.
For the past couple months I have been dosing to get my phosphates down, they are quite low now at around 20ppm. I dosed with bright well. All the rest of my levels are on point.

I think that the cloudy-ness may be brought on by my Red Sea ab, or Reef roids?

I do my maintenance and have no idea why this issue continues.
Advice please!?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the canister filter. You need something like a HOB filter that has both surface and subsurface intakes. You’re probably getting a bacterial bloom that’s originating from the surface. The surface of your tank be slick free.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are like buffets for bacterial blooms. A box filled with rotting crud that is difficult to clean thoroughly and frequently and provides them oxygen is a dream come true for these kinds of bacteria.

Also, I assume you meant nitrates are 20ppm, not phosphates? Also, what were you dosing? I would be extremely surprised if you meant 20ppm phosphates haha (though not the highest I have ever seen).

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are like buffets for bacterial blooms. A box filled with rotting crud that is difficult to clean thoroughly and frequently and provides them oxygen is a dream come true for these kinds of bacteria.

Also, I assume you meant nitrates are 20ppm, not phosphates? Also, what were you dosing? I would be extremely surprised if you meant 20ppm phosphates haha (though not the highest I have ever seen).
Ppm :) yes sorry!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back