Cloudy Water and Banggai with Popeye

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of banggais from divers den and the male didn't make it the first day, had what looked like a bacterial infection and a damaged fin. This is the female. She has been eating but is still very skittish and not really at home in the new tank yet. Two days ago I noticed the water got cloudy so I did a 25% WC and didn't seem to do anything. I was thinking it was just the selcon I was soaking the food in clouding the water. Just now I did a 50% WC and while I was doing that I noticed she has popeye on her right eye. It's a little bit cloudy too. I also noticed that the uneaten food is getting a very bright pink bacteria? growing on it. Thinking I should go ahead and treat with kana/metro/furan. Any opinions? Anyone seen that pink stuff before? How can I figure out why the water got cloudy? All other tanks are crystal clear without using carbon. And I was in front of the tank when the male died. I removed him seconds after dying.

And if I go ahead with metro/furan/kana, what is the dosage? Just dose all three as directed on the packaging? Dose them all at once or stagger them?
20171115_164023.jpg
20171115_164148.jpg

20171115_101028.jpg

Last edited:

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been running? Cloudy water can be a sign of a bacterial bloom. Are you monitoring parameters closely?

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been running? Cloudy water can be a sign of a bacterial bloom. Are you monitoring parameters closely?
Tank has been cycled for 2 months. I was monitoring more closely for the first month. Now I've been testing on a weekly basis. Ammonia alert badge says no ammonia. Last weeks testes were good.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 2
Ph: 8.4
Temp: 79°F
Sg: 1.026

Haven't been bothering with the other perameters since it's a fish qt.
About to test again now. I'll post them when I'm done.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a qt? How can you tell the difference in sex? I think the cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. Youll have to treat for the pop eye. The pink growing quickly on uneaten food is strange. Have a picture of that?

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's a qt. Sexing banggais is near impossible when they're little juveniles but when they're older you can tell by the jaw. The male has a larger jaw to hold the fry. They also have different amount of vents on their unterside but they're very hard to see. When it comes to sexing juveniles it's all based on behaviour.

Ya I was assuming a bacterial bloom also. Just don't know what caused it.

A picture of the food is the last picture on the original post. The food is stuck to the powerhead intake grill.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go ahead with metro/furan/kana, what is the dosage? Just dose all three as directed on the packaging? Dose them all at once or stagger them?

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I will start with just the metro and kana, I want to be able to accurately test for ammonia and not sure that all three are really needed in this case.

/Dosed kana and metro as directed on packaging at 11:00am.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn't eat last night, this morning or tonight. So I dosed the tank with epsom salt. Hopefully that will give her some relief and get her eating again. Curious to hear any opinions on what I'm doing. Should I start the Furan-2?

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She has been reclusive and hiding all day, not eating. After reading more popeye threads I'm considering a FW dip. And wondering if I should have used erythromycin.

Any reason I shouldn't use focus to bind the selcon to the fish frenzy food I'm feeding? Thinking if she eats she will get more of the vitamins.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back