Cloudy water?

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I've had my Biocube 32 set up for a few months. My tank had been progressively getting cloudier and cloudier. I did a 10 gallon water change this past Sunday and it looked pretty clear for a couple of days. It is now pretty cloudy again. It seems to be a white cloudiness. I know bacterial blooms can be white. Any tips or ideas as to whats going on and what I should do? I've thought about running a UV sterilizer as I'm also having algae issues. I'm not sure if this is just new tank uglies or what. I have a poly pad, then a 100 micron filter pad, and activated carbon. I have a wave maker with decent flow in the tank. Fish and CUC seem happy. I checked my parameters yesterday. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

PH 0 (trying to bump that up)
Nitrate around 5 ppm
Alk around 9

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, this happened to me in a 10 gallon. Are you running a protein skimmer? What worked for me, was a large 50% water change, and reduction of feeding. I also ran a lot of macroalgae in the tank to help absorb nutrients.

Also...if your pH is 0, would you be willing to sell me some fish? I'd love to study them to see how they're able to live in a superacidic environment...

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, this happened to me in a 10 gallon. Are you running a protein skimmer? What worked for me, was a large 50% water change, and reduction of feeding. I also ran a lot of macroalgae in the tank to help absorb nutrients.

Also...if your pH is 0, would you be willing to sell me some fish? I'd love to study them to see how they're able to live in a superacidic environment...
Ha sorry didn't mean to put PH. Meant to say phosphate lol. I'm not running a protein skimmer.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I've had my Biocube 32 set up for a few months. My tank had been progressively getting cloudier and cloudier. I did a 10 gallon water change this past Sunday and it looked pretty clear for a couple of days. It is now pretty cloudy again. It seems to be a white cloudiness. I know bacterial blooms can be white. Any tips or ideas as to whats going on and what I should do? I've thought about running a UV sterilizer as I'm also having algae issues. I'm not sure if this is just new tank uglies or what. I have a poly pad, then a 100 micron filter pad, and activated carbon. I have a wave maker with decent flow in the tank. Fish and CUC seem happy. I checked my parameters yesterday. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

PH 0 (trying to bump that up)
Nitrate around 5 ppm
Alk around 9
Phosphate 0 not ph

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add chemipure blue and it will help polish water. Adding a hang on back power filter ($20 at walmart) will polish water and provide mechanical filtration )

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add chemipure blue and it will help polish water. Adding a hang on back power filter ($20 at walmart) will polish water and provide mechanical filtration )
I'll try the chemipure but I'd rather not have a hang on back. I can't imagine that something isn't off here as far as bacteria or something goes. I see so many tanks that are crystal clear and they run pretty basic. Thank you though

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank did the same thing hooked up Uv sterilizer and gone in 24 hrs. It could be a bacteria bloom. That what I had hazy smoke looking water

Back