Clown acting abnormally- help?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out the video of my clown above please. She's just about 7 years old now.

She's been swimming really close to the sand and there's points she'd just stop and lay on her tummy on the sand (rarely she'd fall to her side). There's one spot she'd prefer to just stop and lay there- rarely anywhere else but one spot only.

She still eats, she still chases after the hawkfish that she hates. She still acknowledges me when I get close to the tank. Her color looks good, I don't see anything off about her, she doesn't look bloated, no visible disease. It almost, almost, looks like she's struggling to swim upwards and tires her out. The end of the video where she lays the second time is her usual spot and her home. You can see her mate is concerned about her.

No new additions has been placed in the tank for over a year, I am ruling out parasite since all other fish looks great and active and no new addictions to bring any in.

All params are normal and good, nothing off with the testing.

Any ideas? What can I do for my girl? I've had her for just about 7 years now, I'd be sad if I lost her now.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as she looks okay but I do have to point out that the black and white one looks emaciated.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure as she looks okay but I do have to point out that the black and white one looks emaciated.
You're right. I took a closer look at the phantom and he does look pretty thin. I had him for about 5 years. I hope its not parasites, I don't have a hospital tank to treat them

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed the tank and both are eating.

I did notice a few times the female would hold a pellet when I feed pellets in her mouth before eating it. She'd carry it around. I fed mix of frozen today and all eating

Edit- I am actually wondering if my pet sitter actually fed my fish for me while I was away for 2 weeks....

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old age? Preparing/or has mated? Not fed. Absolute guesses.
No visible signs of ick and velvet would kill quickly.
Since they eat, gills are not affected.
But does look weakened.
Mine do the lay down thing but it’s in the nem.
Maybe @Jay Hemdal will chime in.

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old age is possible, google tells me 3-10 years for clowns. but I've heard some living to 20 years
Agreed, there are definitely claims of that, seems reasonable as they are not prey in our DTs.
7 years is a long time, no new additions makes me fully agree that the risk of parasite is low.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out the video of my clown above please. She's just about 7 years old now.

She's been swimming really close to the sand and there's points she'd just stop and lay on her tummy on the sand (rarely she'd fall to her side). There's one spot she'd prefer to just stop and lay there- rarely anywhere else but one spot only.

She still eats, she still chases after the hawkfish that she hates. She still acknowledges me when I get close to the tank. Her color looks good, I don't see anything off about her, she doesn't look bloated, no visible disease. It almost, almost, looks like she's struggling to swim upwards and tires her out. The end of the video where she lays the second time is her usual spot and her home. You can see her mate is concerned about her.

No new additions has been placed in the tank for over a year, I am ruling out parasite since all other fish looks great and active and no new addictions to bring any in.

All params are normal and good, nothing off with the testing.

Any ideas? What can I do for my girl? I've had her for just about 7 years now, I'd be sad if I lost her now.

The fish is negatively buoyant, but I can’t tell you why. More commonly seen is positive buoyancy.
I doubt that it is parasitic. Potentially could be bacterial, but that usually causes positive buoyancy.
As @Tamberav said, the other clown is emaciated. That could be a result of chronic mycobacterium infection, sort of a disease of old fish, no treatment for it. However, given the recent question about the tank sitter maybe not feeding properly, you should attempt to balk it up with extra feedings, multiple times a day.
Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old age is possible, google tells me 3-10 years for clowns. but I've heard some living to 20 years
Agreed, there are definitely claims of that, seems reasonable as they are not prey in our DTs.
7 years is a long time, no new additions makes me fully agree that the risk of parasite is low.

The wild life span is 6-10 because they get ate or die from something not old age like illness.

Captive life is smaller range.. again not old age but because they die of disease or poor care/husbandry or jumping out… etc. Apparently clownfish stand a better chance in the wild with predators and such then they do with us.

This is not old age. The potential life span of a clownfish where it may die of ‘old age’ is 20-30 years or even more.

So basically websites are not listing potential lifespans but the average they live until we mess up or a predator in nature eats them.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed the tank and both are eating.

I did notice a few times the female would hold a pellet when I feed pellets in her mouth before eating it. She'd carry it around. I fed mix of frozen today and all eating

Edit- I am actually wondering if my pet sitter actually fed my fish for me while I was away for 2 weeks....
feed them more. my clarkii stirs around in the sand but i think thats just a breeding behavior or something. theres only one in the tank but thats all i can think.

starghost-out

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find out what was wrong and save your clown? I'm having the exact same issue with my new clownfish. I've only had my pair for about a couple weeks. The male is displaying the same behavior as your fish so I've been worried about disease or swim bladder? I feed them regularly so I'm not sure if that is the answer if your pet sitter was the cause.

I hope your fish is doing well now!

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find out what was wrong and save your clown? I'm having the exact same issue with my new clownfish. I've only had my pair for about a couple weeks. The male is displaying the same behavior as your fish so I've been worried about disease or swim bladder? I feed them regularly so I'm not sure if that is the answer if your pet sitter was the cause.

I hope your fish is doing well now!

No. Unfortunately I don’t know what’s wrong. She’s still the same, chasing after the hawkfish and eating but stops to pause on the sand and just rest. I’m thinking it’s old age.

I’m wondering if I should move her to a smaller tank? Maybe less stressful with her and her mate together in a smaller tank. What do you all think?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back