Clown Acting Strange

Devion55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I introduced 2 1 month old clowns into my 30gal tank that finished cycling two days ago. My readings before adding the fish were 79 degrees Fahrenheit, a ph of 8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20ppm. I acclimated them properly but even in the bag this clown was acting kinda strange. It is swimming near the bottom and trying to hide, the other is acting perfectly normal but is nipping and ramming it. Is this simply a dominance battle?
IMG_0943.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was also acting normal when I picked it up from my LFS
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the other clown still acting normal? Did they come from the same tank at the store?

This one is breathing very, very fast and that is either a sign of severe stress or gill disease. In that state, the other clown is probably going to kill it, I think you need to separate them.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Devion55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the other clown still acting normal? Did they come from the same tank at the store?

This one is breathing very, very fast and that is either a sign of severe stress or gill disease. In that state, the other clown is probably going to kill it, I think you need to separate them.

Jay
So unfortunately the clown passed but they were from the same tank at the LFS. The other clown is feeding now and acting completely normal. I did separate them but it passed about 1 hour after I separated them. The LFS thinks it may have become too stressed as well. The LFS said that this just happens sometimes but I followed his acclimation instructions to the T. I even made sure that it was not bright at any point by putting up a sheet to completely block my windows.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do that when trying to find refuge from constant harassment.
It just happens sometimes.
The pairing thing doesn’t always work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately the clown passed but they were from the same tank at the LFS. The other clown is feeding now and acting completely normal. I did separate them but it passed about 1 hour after I separated them. The LFS thinks it may have become too stressed as well. The LFS said that this just happens sometimes but I followed his acclimation instructions to the T. I even made sure that it was not bright at any point by putting up a sheet to completely block my windows.
Sorry to hear that.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back