clown breathing heavy

mrbacony

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Clownfish has white poop (indicative of a parasite), won't eat and is breathing heavy. This has been going on for a few days now. I can't get him to eat so the Metro laced food I tried to feed him will not work. So I dosed the tank with General Cure. After 2 days, he was the same. I did a 5 minute freshwater dip, but no flukes came off. I have just dosed GC for the second time and was going to give it another 48 hours before a water change. Not sure what else I can do.
Nitrate is 8, SG is 1.025 and ammonia is 0.

BRS

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Clownfish has white poop (indicative of a parasite), won't eat and is breathing heavy. This has been going on for a few days now. I can't get him to eat so the Metro laced food I tried to feed him will not work. So I dosed the tank with General Cure. After 2 days, he was the same. I did a 5 minute freshwater dip, but no flukes came off. I have just dosed GC for the second time and was going to give it another 48 hours before a water change. Not sure what else I can do.
Nitrate is 8, SG is 1.025 and ammonia is 0.

The white poop is sometimes a symptom of protozoan issues, but it can also result from excess mucus in the fish's gut, or some issue with the food.

Based on the other clown breathing fine, I think you can rule out system-wide protozoan issues. Flukes would also affect both clowns. Ditto for environmental problems. So what is left? Bacterial gill disease and anemia are two options. Anemia is just a general condition, the fish needs to breathy faster because its blood isn't efficiently carrying oxygen. There aren't a lot of treatable conditions that will cause that though. If you can get a look at the fish's gill filaments - they should be dark red. If they are pink or white, the fish is anemic.

In this case, I would just stay the course with the second GC dose - fish uptake some medication from the water when they drink, and metro has limited antibacterial properties.

The other option would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with an antibiotic.

Jay

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

Have you noticed any changes in the color of your coral based on how you feed your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 68 40.0%
  • NO

Votes: 92 54.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 5.9%

Deltec