Clown covered in white film, Brooklynella?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that's not what this is - all the fish I buy are treated at my LFS, and I've had this fish for 3 years. But meds are unavailable in Canada so I'm not sure what to do if it is the case. The clown has been hiding in the rocks more often - there are no spots at all, only a thicker mucus layer and some darker areas on the white stripes

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say 'possible' - but can you give some more information? If you look at the second link in my signature. there is a list of questions. Heavy breathing? Eating? any new additions (coral, rock, fish, etc). One problem (IMHO) everytime someone sees a sick clown they always assume brooklynella (PS not talking about you). To me there are also spots - it almost looks like velvet - or CI - with a mucus coat reactions (which is what clowns do). without more history its hard to say - since its been in your tank for 3 years. I would suggest - though - that you set up - quickly - a hospital area - in case treatment is required - and my guess is that it will be - but will eagerly await your answers. You're relatively new here - so welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 55g
Filtration type: Sump with filter sock, refugium with chaeto
Lighting: 2x Kessil tuna blue A80s
How long has the aquarium been established?: 7 years

Water quality
Temperature: 77f
pH: I don't have a pH checker
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025 sg
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3
Phosphorus: I don't have a phosphorus checker
Copper: No

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below): No
Are any invertebrates affected?: No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): Hard to tell, looks like 2 beats per second/120 per minute
Are the affected fish still feeding?: Yes
What remedies have you tried so far?: None yet

The last fish I added were 3 pj cardinals and a royal gramma about a month ago, they spent a week in copper at the LFS before I got them. New inverts were 4 electric blue hermits (3 didn't make it but I don't think they ship well to begin with) and 2 emerald crabs, which are both doing fine. I'm just worried that if treatment is required I won't have access to medication. I have a bottle of Ruby Reef Rally Pro from before the medication ban, but it's at least 3 years old at this point so I don't know if it's still good to use if necessary.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s brooklynella. What sets brook from other diseases is the amount of slime produced by the fish which is mucus. Some signs you will see is heavy breathing, loss of color, refusal to eat and lethargic behavior
Treatment of choice is formalin/formalin based and you can start with a 5 minute freshwater dip in the same temperature as display tank in a clean bucket which will offer the fish temporary relief
Then treat in a quarantine setting using quick cure for 10 days or ruby rally pro for 10-14 days

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s brooklynella. What sets brook from other diseases is the amount of slime produced by the fish which is mucus. Some signs you will see is heavy breathing, loss of color, refusal to eat and lethargic behavior
Treatment of choice is formalin/formalin based and you can start with a 5 minute freshwater dip in the same temperature as display tank in a clean bucket which will offer the fish temporary relief
Then treat in a quarantine setting using quick cure for 10 days or ruby rally pro for 10-14 days

Where could it have come from? The fish is 7 years old and nothing else in my tank is affected.

I'll have to set up a QT, what's the quickest way to cycle a QT tank, since I can't use anything from the display tank?

How much Ruby Rally Pro should I use? Is it okay if it's old? I don't see an expiry date on it but it's illegal to purchase it now in Canada

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where could it have come from? The fish is 7 years old and nothing else in my tank is affected.

I'll have to set up a QT, what's the quickest way to cycle a QT tank, since I can't use anything from the display tank?

How much Ruby Rally Pro should I use? Is it okay if it's old? I don't see an expiry date on it but it's illegal to purchase it now in Canada
Right. thats what I will ask @vetteguy53081 where did it come from - for my own interest - it certainly looks like it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 55g
Filtration type: Sump with filter sock, refugium with chaeto
Lighting: 2x Kessil tuna blue A80s
How long has the aquarium been established?: 7 years

Water quality
Temperature: 77f
pH: I don't have a pH checker
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025 sg
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3
Phosphorus: I don't have a phosphorus checker
Copper: No

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below): No
Are any invertebrates affected?: No
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): Hard to tell, looks like 2 beats per second/120 per minute
Are the affected fish still feeding?: Yes
What remedies have you tried so far?: None yet

The last fish I added were 3 pj cardinals and a royal gramma about a month ago, they spent a week in copper at the LFS before I got them. New inverts were 4 electric blue hermits (3 didn't make it but I don't think they ship well to begin with) and 2 emerald crabs, which are both doing fine. I'm just worried that if treatment is required I won't have access to medication. I have a bottle of Ruby Reef Rally Pro from before the medication ban, but it's at least 3 years old at this point so I don't know if it's still good to use if necessary.
It does look like Brooklynelka. Likely came in on the new fish, since copper doesn’t treat it.
I’d be leery of using the old Ruby Reef, but you could contact the company for advice.
Jay

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any Fritz Aquatics equivalents to Rally Pro? My LFS says they have their products, but I can't tell on their site if they have anything with formalin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For what its worth, I have used expired ruby Rally Pro without knowing and it actually worked. Obviously you cab start with it but get new stuff .

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

As jay stated, it often is found on wild caught fish and is a ciliate parasite with a direct life cycle which lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish. It can come from as easy as your LFS being released into the water and in your fish bag as well as other wild and farmed fish in the industry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any Fritz Aquatics equivalents to Rally Pro? My LFS says they have their products, but I can't tell on their site if they have anything with formalin

I looked through their online catalog just now and didn't see any products that show that they would be useful in treating Brooklynella.

Jay

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don from Ruby Reef got back to me and said that Rally Pro is good for up to 9 years so long as it's closed after you open it, and hasn't been frozen. So my 3 year old product should be good.

I caught the clown and put her in a container while waiting for the QT tank to heat up. Rapid breathing and torn fins.

I'm anxious to put her in because I got a .5 ammonia reading on my Fluval test kit, but I dosed it with prime and I'm picking up more RODI from my LFS tomorrow. Will the tank be safe?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I look for symptoms on my other fish? They all seem fine
I’ve seen gramma develop Brook before, so definitely watch that one.
Jay

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment on clownfish started

40ml of Rally Pro in a 13.5gal Fluval Sea EVO
pH ~7.25
77F
1.025 s.g.
ammonia .5

Dosed 1.5ml of Prime and 15ml of ATM outbreak marine live bacteria (though I don't think it's very live any more, seeing as the bottle is about 4 years old at least). Running only a sponge in the tank plus a PVC pipe for hiding. Will update with pictures tomorrow after the water change

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on him

If I'm doing 50% wc daily, should I dose 50% of the medication every day? I'm not sure how meds + water changes work

I'm not sure how it works with Rally. With formalin, you dose daily, so you would change the water each day, and then redose after that.

You need to keep the ammonia level below 0.25 ppm

jay

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: she died just now unfortunately. I don't know why there was ammonia in the tank before I put her in, I tried my best to neutralise it with prime because I was out of fresh salt water until my LFS opened (they're closed Mondays and don't open for another 2 hours). I don't know if the ammonia or illness killed her, but I feel horrible for being so poorly prepared

This was the last video I got of her an hour ago

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No white spots, only the mucus film. Lethargy and heavy breathing, was eating up until last night.

I believe @vetteguy53081 diagnosed this 2 months ago when she started dropping weight without any other symptoms. I didn't want to believe she was sick, that I had been underfeeding.

If it did start as early as then, I didn't have the gramma or cardinals at the time. It was about a week after I purchased the black storm clown, who has shown no symptoms whatsoever.

Should I treat the black storm preemptively, or wait for symptoms, if any?

20220517_082252.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back