Clown fish acting funny..

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dreamkiller

New Member​

First and foremost I'm new to the aquarium life. I currently have a gooby, blue throat tang, 2 clowns, foxnose, and a damsel I'm trying to catch and get rid of. My tank is 75g. My parameters are : ph- 8.2, amm. - 0 , nitrite - 0 and Nitrate- .25. Just did a 30% water change 1 week ago with RO. Within that week I've lost my angel and my sailfin. 2 days ago I found out my foxnose has ich. I'm currently treating my tank twice a day with Kordon ich attack. Now today one of my clowns are acting real funny staying at the bottom of the tank and appearing to be breathing heavy but still eats. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO...PLEASE HELP.

20201229_204441.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there is a lot to break down here; first, once fish loss has begun, it is very difficult to solve the problem before more fish loss occurs- the medications all take time to work.
How did you identify ich? I don’t really see any ich on the clownfish, just some damage to its tail. Watch it carefully, another fish may be bullying it.
I never rely on herbal remedies to cure active infections, they all have a poor track record.
Do you have any invertebrates in your tank? That is going to have some bearing on the medications you can use.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there is a lot to break down here; first, once fish loss has begun, it is very difficult to solve the problem before more fish loss occurs- the medications all take time to work.
How did you identify ich? I don’t really see any ich on the clownfish, just some damage to its tail. Watch it carefully, another fish may be bullying it.
I never rely on herbal remedies to cure active infections, they all have a poor track record.
Do you have any invertebrates in your tank? That is going to have some bearing on the medications you can use.
Jay
Well my foxface has ich which was verified by my fs. And I do believe that my damsels were bullying it so I got rid of 2 of them but I can't catch the last one. In addition, I do have invertebrates in my tank that's the only reason I'm using the holistic meds.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my foxface has ich which was verified by my fs. And I do believe that my damsels were bullying it so I got rid of 2 of them but I can't catch the last one. In addition, I do have invertebrates in my tank that's the only reason I'm using the holistic meds.
Ah, that’s going to be an issue I’m afraid- herbal tonics are just unlikely to stop an active ich infection, not sure what else you can do in this case though.
Jay

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk but maybe look for a small tank through craigs list or something and setup a QT/HT tank, can use copper or something similar. make sure you get aeration if the medication says so.

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you do use copper make sure u pick up a test kit. it has a fine line of being effective and killing/or doing nothing to the fish/parrisites. well thats what my LFS said, and the copper solution said. Edit: Also even if you lose a fish i'd keep the tank(QT/HT) and keep some spare rocks/filtermedia to use in the QT/HT in your sump if you have one, so you dont need to keep it running all the time. Its better than not having that safetynet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]Dreamkiller

New Member​

First and foremost I'm new to the aquarium life. I currently have a gooby, blue throat tang, 2 clowns, foxnose, and a damsel I'm trying to catch and get rid of. My tank is 75g. My parameters are : ph- 8.2, amm. - 0 , nitrite - 0 and Nitrate- .25. Just did a 30% water change 1 week ago with RO. Within that week I've lost my angel and my sailfin. 2 days ago I found out my foxnose has ich. I'm currently treating my tank twice a day with Kordon ich attack. Now today one of my clowns are acting real funny staying at the bottom of the tank and appearing to be breathing heavy but still eats. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO...PLEASE HELP.

20201229_204441.jpg
Update. Clown just died.

Attachments

• 20201229_235033.jpg
    20201229_235033.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 30

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Clown just died.
sorry for your loss.
Was it covered in mucus because the photo kind of seems like it?
Also how new is the tank? The sand seems really fresh, unless it was added recently?
found the other post ans is 2months

Last edited:

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was very informative. Thx bro. I'll definitely will be quarantining and treating from now on
Don't lose hope, I have also lost a bunch of fish etc. I'm coming up to 12m on my tank.
Yeah they go into QT/HT beyond what I could do atm but after I kept watching QT related videos I understand why it's the best thing to do, at least do the minimum so you can look back and know you did your best.

I was lucky so far, no 'visible' signs of diseases in my DT atm, *touch wood*, I might have ich but it's probably not enough overwhelm my 2 clowns, 2 damselfish, the one time i didnt research the fish its aggressive >: and a blue assessor.
For catching fish btw, you should have at least 2 nets and/or i used a brand new, rinsed in rodi water washing machine bra net thing with the zipper to trap the fish when i had issues with 1 of my damselfish and no lights, apparently red light is good, but with both the fish do realise eventually what you are upto and hide =.=

I lost a bunch of corals (impatient and using brilliant, and H2O2 [30%] can be over done easily.... ).
Inverts and fish: 1 hermit crab, 4-6 snails, a shrimp, a white goby, sand sifting goby (yellow head), six line wrasse, 1 other goby I forgot the name, 1 anemone and a bristle tang (dipped the tang and seemed okay for i think about a week and suddenly died.

Deaths were H2O2 inverts cannot handle it neither can corals. Fish were random, e.g the white goby suicided into my power head, watched it happen :( i used onion nets to encase were the water jets out of the powerheads and around were it pulls in the water, so the blue assessor cant get pulled or the anemone, but i'll leave it because i plan to get a anemone again one day.

After losing the tang, I will now QT every fish, as I want my current fish to live a happy n healthy life :)
For corals bayer dip :| (especially for SPS I use my current DT water mixed with bayer, had SPS and didnt think about the harshness of the RODI, of course disposing the old bayer water)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. I think my tank is finished this go around. I'm a start over probably next week. I'm a just keep my starfish, crabs, and snails for about a month to starve out the ich. Then I'm considering getting a eel and maybe 2 triggers.

OP
OP
D

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. I think my tank is finished this go around. I'm a start over probably next week. I'm a just keep my starfish, crabs, and snails for about a month to starve out the ich. Then I'm considering getting a eel and maybe 2 triggers.
Definitely going to get a qt before I do anything though

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]Dreamkiller

New Member​

20201229_204441.jpg
If I am going to be honest, the fin bites and the description of the damsel make this seem quite obvious. I think that the damsel has bitten it and beat it up. How much Kordon are you dosing a day, any specific amount? Please leave the amount in the thread so we can help you out my friend.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back