clown fish died overnight

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add two clown fish to my tank this saturday (only fish in the tank). feed them last night both ate and appeared fine (that I saw). I woke up this morning to feed them before work and the small one of the two was laboring very hard and had white craze covering most of its body. The other didn't look as bad and wasn't laboring at all. I don't have a quarantine tank so I couldn't take them out. When my wife got home from work she told me that the little guy had passed but the other was still swimming around. I bought some ICH-X (saltwater, picture attached) after work, and proceeded to drain about 20% of the water, refilled, and medicated the tank. I also removed the bags of carbon and the chemi pure blue from the filter prior to adding the medication. I'm not 100% sure what happen, but judging from other posts and comparing images that it is velvet. So, I'm hoping the medication saves the lone survivor. she has not eaten since I have been home (8pm). Additionally, I have some food soaking in garlic oil, that I made from crushing whole garlic cloves, that I'm going throw in.

I'm new to saltwater/reefing so any advice, information, or suggestion are welcome. I've been reading this thread feverishly for about he last hour and half trying to figure out what happen. Tank has been running for about three weeks prior to adding the fish. I used the fritz 900 turbo start when saltwater was added (reef crystals) was added. Water was test. Should I have waited longer before adding fish?

I don't know if he was just super stressed and didn't adjust well to the tank or if there is a problem.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning. Pictures of survivor to follow.

41dLaG2-usL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg 64004670798__C93CD87E-755E-41A2-982A-27B834726C80.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a parasite involved here, but I agree with the others that water quality, especially ammonia, is a contributing factor. The Ich-x does not have a real good track record in marine tanks, but if you’ve begun with it, probably just continue. If this fish dies, I would suggest getting some hermit crabs and hardy invertebrates and just keep them for at least 45 days before trying any new fish. You might also consider buying pre quarantined fish.
Jay

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice this is very common on this forum; "my tank is 3 weeks old, I added 2 fish and one died last night, whats wrong?". IMO, your tank is too new, and you added the fish too fast. One fish at a time then wait a few weeks before adding one more, this is the path to not having your fish die.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also out of curiosity—did you use live rock? If you did, but didn’t stay fallow for 76 days, you run the risk of crashing the tank with parasites. Also, QT and medication is a good practice, as you really know nothing about your sources of fish.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a parasite involved here, but I agree with the others that water quality, especially ammonia, is a contributing factor. The Ich-x does not have a real good track record in marine tanks, but if you’ve begun with it, probably just continue. If this fish dies, I would suggest getting some hermit crabs and hardy invertebrates and just keep them for at least 45 days before trying any new fish. You might also consider buying pre quarantined fish.
Jay
I had the water tested by my local aquarium store, because my test kit had not arrived yet. I was told that everything was fine. I have done two treatments now and the little fish seems to be getting better many of the white spots are gone and she is swimming around. She is stilling eat so I guess its working. Or, at least something is working.

I was wanting to get some invertebrates, so I appreciate the advise there.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice this is very common on this forum; "my tank is 3 weeks old, I added 2 fish and one died last night, whats wrong?". IMO, your tank is too new, and you added the fish too fast. One fish at a time then wait a few weeks before adding one more, this is the path to not having your fish die.
I appreciate the encouragement and the advice.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also out of curiosity—did you use live rock? If you did, but didn’t stay fallow for 76 days, you run the risk of crashing the tank with parasites. Also, QT and medication is a good practice, as you really know nothing about your sources of fish.
I used dry rock

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope she pulls through, but slow down enjoy the tank and how it develops and slowly add your fish, keep testing your parameters. Good luck

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back