Clown Fish stopped eating with heavy breathing for 3 days after adding new pump and hose

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video again, does the left side (her right) lip look a little off? Not sure if I’m imagining it or if it’s real. Eating something odd may explain it. If she did eat a piece of gravel (or something else), will she be able to dislodge it @Jay Hemdal ?
Hi Bleigh,

Thank you for the supply.

I don't notice anything in the mouth when I look closely and she has never picked anything off the bottom. It would be very difficult to put the old pump back in but possible, the old pump was is worn out, loud with a poor flow so I figured it was time to upgrade to a newer design. This one the noise is silent with near no vibration so I don't think the running of the pump caused stress.

All I know that morning she ate like a shark then later during the day I added the pump, tubing which need a special tape to make a seal but I read here multiple times that tape is reef safe. I also did run 10 gallons through the pump/tube and there no reviews of people complaining about their fish dying. The tank is well established at 8 years with 75 gallons at the top and a 20 gallon sump at the bottom a mini cycle would be surprising but possible.

My filter setup is a reefer 350 skimmer, a phosphate remover and two bags of cempure blue. The day I changed the pump I did do some filter changes. I changed the chempure and took out the old ones. Amazon was sold out so I bought from a different supplier but they had sold over 1,500 of them and feedback complains.

Since moving the fish from the main main tank to hospital tank slowly been with the changes and lowered the salinity slightly under 1.24.

*Update*
One emerald out of 3 emerald crabs added was found dead where he was hanging out just now. I can't find the others but my entire tank is overload with over live rocks so its possible they could be alive but I think doubtful. The LFS store told me they had just came in that morning and picked the largest ones which happen to be gray. I definitely don't think it was a molt as slime was coming off the body, clearly dead. With all the water changes and stress already on the crabs hoping in that day at the LFS maybe another water swing finished them off... So far all the large snails are still going strong, corals and the black widow anemone seemed to have split again for 2nd time but it was rather large. Maybe the water changes triggered this.

I took an updated video and this one you can see the fish far more clearly in the hospital tank. Whenever I'm near the tank she basically rests at the bottom but does swim around so that does look a little deceptive but her health does seem to have deteriorated.

Last edited:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I’m really stumped. Has her tail always been that shape? What are you feeding her? Could you try something more appetizing to try to entice her? If it wasn’t for the not eating, I wouldn’t think anything was wrong with her. That’s how my fish were with the tuberculosis. Main symptom was not eating, but they died much quicker. Maybe she’s fighting something off?

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I’m really stumped. Has her tail always been that shape? What are you feeding her? Could you try something more appetizing to try to entice her? If it wasn’t for the not eating, I wouldn’t think anything was wrong with her. That’s how my fish were with the tuberculosis. Main symptom was not eating, but they died much quicker. Maybe she’s fighting something off?
Tail has been that way nearly 2 years and went that way after the last infection. There is no treatment for TB at all? I have been feeding New Life Spectrum 1mm for at least the past 7 years and fish has always absolutely loved it. I gave more dose of all 3 per schedule of the cocktail instructions and plan to find some PolyFilter soon as an LFS opens up Amazon couldn't have it here today and then put the fish back in the tank and hope for the best because to far no improvement besides what looks like more stress.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail has been that way nearly 2 years and went that way after the last infection. There is no treatment for TB at all? I have been feeding New Life Spectrum 1mm for at least the past 7 years and fish has always absolutely loved it. I gave more dose of all 3 per schedule of the cocktail instructions and plan to find some PolyFilter soon as an LFS opens up Amazon couldn't have it here today and then put the fish back in the tank and hope for the best because to far no improvement besides what looks like more stress.
Can you get some mysis? I think just letting the fish fight it off is the treatment, but I’m not entirely sure. The way jay explained it to me is that TB is always in the tank, but normally it doesn’t impact fish. As they get older, an infection is more likely to occur as they can’t fight it off as easily. I don’t know if something can increase or decrease viral loads in the water or what not. Good for you for paying such good attention that you noticed immediately that something was not right. There’s still a chance that you noticed something super early and that she’ll develop some other symptoms that allows for a better diagnosis.

Back