Clown fish Uronema marinum?

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F28AC30-4A99-42B4-890C-25E42EF1D235.jpeg
Hi
This clown fish has some serious skin discolor near its tail and stop eating since yesterday. The other clown was not eating but resume eating yesterday. I’m wondering if this Uronema marinum or something else? The fishes has been in 1.75 copper safe (Hanna checker) for 11 days already. Other fishes are still doing okay , however there is still ich symptoms (flashing and head tweaking) after the 10 days mark of copper treatments. I have dose 2 round metroplex for this week to combat uronena marinum already.
I really having hard time to keep fish alive, and my dt is currently being fallow due to the velvet I have before. I hope I can save this new batch of fishes. Please let me know how I can save them. Thank you!

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're already dosing with metro, which would have been my first suggestion.

I'm doing formalin dips on my fish as we speak because of metro immune brooklynella. It would seem logical that uronema could be resistant as well. Let's see what others think

@Humblefish @HotRocks @melypr1985 @Big G @4FordFamily

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but from my experience uronema tends to look like a lesion on the body with red sores and raised scales around it. not sure if that is what you are dealing with. Is it like that on both sides of the fish? does it look like the skin has been peeled? if so maybe dealing with brook.
if not, could be a bacterial infection in which case you can treat with trifecta of metro, furan2 and kanaplex (the metro should treat uronema as well at the same time). Not sure if you can treat in conjunction with copper though.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're already dosing with metro, which would have been my first suggestion.

I'm doing formalin dips on my fish as we speak because of metro immune brooklynella. It would seem logical that uronema could be resistant as well. Let's see what others think

@Humblefish @HotRocks @melypr1985 @Big G @4FordFamily

Although, it is fully possible to run into an immune strain of parasite based on the pictures provided I am not fully convinced that this is uronema.

OP can you post some pictures taken under brighter white light and clear close-ups?

The twitching could just be still irritation from the ich. You could also be dealing with flukes here, have you done a freshwater dip?

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but from my experience uronema tends to look like a lesion on the body with red sores and raised scales around it. not sure if that is what you are dealing with. Is it like that on both sides of the fish? does it look like the skin has been peeled? if so maybe dealing with brook.
if not, could be a bacterial infection in which case you can treat with trifecta of metro, furan2 and kanaplex (the metro should treat uronema as well at the same time). Not sure if you can treat in conjunction with copper though.
It is on both side. It was started as a small line yesterday and today it cover the bottom part already

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62055BEC-D889-4077-B043-D59B4884E101.jpeg
Although, it is fully possible to run into an immune strain of parasite based on the pictures provided I am not fully convinced that this is uronema.

OP can you post some pictures taken under brighter white light and clear close-ups?

The twitching could just be still irritation from the ich. You could also be dealing with flukes here, have you done a freshwater dip?
I have do fresh water dip for the other clown 2 times before when it was not eating. However, I do not see any thing. Here is the picture under light.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62055BEC-D889-4077-B043-D59B4884E101.jpeg

I have do fresh water dip for the other clown 2 times before when it was not eating. However, I do not see any thing. Here is the picture under light.
The tail of the middle clown appears to be infected, is that an accurate observation (of the trouble area)?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have kananplex and furan2 with me. However the qt already has metroplex and copper doses. Should I wait to see if it improve or should I dose the other med?

Update: it has started eating this afternoon.

I would start out by dosing just Kanaplex and see if his condition improves. Kanamycin is a relatively mild antibiotic and is readily absorbed by the fish's skin.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to give some update. Despite the infection mark is still there, the clown fish has resume eating and acting normally after 2 dose of kannaplex. However, some fish still occasionally flashing to the pvc, but I don’t see any more ich spot(16 days in therapeutic level of copper). Thank you so much guys for all your help!

ADeepBlueSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an update on your clown? Still alive? Mine has the exact same discoloration on the back half and not really responding to anything. Treating for Uronema but nothing is working. Thanks!

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an update on your clown? Still alive? Mine has the exact same discoloration on the back half and not really responding to anything. Treating for Uronema but nothing is working. Thanks!
I have dosed Kanaplex and it seem to help him recover. The fish is already live my dt for a while now. I suggest keep them in good condition qt to observe before moving into display.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection to me too. Better treat it before it spreads more than it already has.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back