Clown fish white blotches?

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. We are about to be upgrading our 20g tank to a 40g next week and turning this 20g into a full qt tank.

Tonight feeding this tank, we noticed our Gladiator clown has some weird things going on. It looks like it's white bars have been scraped or something?

It's eating like a pig, no gasping or anything. Swimming along with the other clown all like normal. Parameters are normal. Any thoughts on what this could be?

20210510_215807.jpg
20210510_215701.jpg
20210510_215700.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that before, but only on other people's fish here, never in person. I don't know what it is. It doesn't seem to be a topical infection, it seems more like discoloration under the skin, and it shows up mostly on the white portions of clownfish (obviously because the white makes it more visible).

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has a clue about this.....

Jay

p.s. - does the clown in the picture have stringy feces?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that before, but only on other people's fish here, never in person. I don't know what it is. It doesn't seem to be a topical infection, it seems more like discoloration under the skin, and it shows up mostly on the white portions of clownfish (obviously because the white makes it more visible).

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has a clue about this.....

Jay

p.s. - does the clown in the picture have stringy feces?
No, all regular. Thank you!

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all regular. Thank you!
I was wondering if you had an update on your fish.

My clownfish appear to be going through the same thing. I posted a thread last night and @Jay Hemdal replied telling me the same thing he told you. I managed to take some better pics and zoom in and thats when I noticed it was mostly noticeable on the white bands/bars on the fish. So it got me thinking to search the threads for "white bars" and bingo your thread popped up and is identical to the issue my fish are experiencing. I'd love to hear what ended up happening.

Also, how long ago did you get the fish and/or introduce them to your tank? I'm trying to figure out if this is just stress-induced from transferring from the LFS to my tank.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you had an update on your fish.

My clownfish appear to be going through the same thing. I posted a thread last night and @Jay Hemdal replied telling me the same thing he told you. I managed to take some better pics and zoom in and thats when I noticed it was mostly noticeable on the white bands/bars on the fish. So it got me thinking to search the threads for "white bars" and bingo your thread popped up and is identical to the issue my fish are experiencing. I'd love to hear what ended up happening.

Also, how long ago did you get the fish and/or introduce them to your tank? I'm trying to figure out if this is just stress-induced from transferring from the LFS to my tank.
The blotches are gone and the fish is perfectly healthy!

I introduced this one immediately. We've had it for about 4 months now. I guess it was just a temporary thing or something.

They've since upgraded to a 40 gallon from their 20 as well.

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blotches are gone and the fish is perfectly healthy!

I introduced this one immediately. We've had it for about 4 months now. I guess it was just a temporary thing or something.

They've since upgraded to a 40 gallon from their 20 as well.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll keep feeding mine tiny portions 2x per day in hopes that they get healthier on their own. Thank you!!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back