Clown fish with white on fins

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m pretty new here but maybe some of you could help me out. I’ve had my tank for a couple weeks running and I introduced two juvenile clown fish about a little over a week ago. One of them got a little bigger than the other and is doing extremely well is very healthy. However, the other has some white on his fin and on his face. It doesn’t look like ich because it’s not dots. It almost looks like it’s rotting away. I’m not sure what to do all my levels are on point. I’ll attach some photos but he’s eating like a champ and isn’t acting sick at all.
BAAB5FF0-51D9-4CE3-8D40-0464778005A3.jpeg
D84857B9-E868-46A9-9D39-F424ADF58F6C.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I tried to zoom in and see what you were describing but I cant see them in your pics. It is normal for one to go larger as that is the dominant one and morphs to a female. You can always treat with copper if you think it has ick etc. with that said if you have rock or corals you must move the fish to another tank aka qt and treat them. If you have no rock or corals I’d treat the whole tank and do water change after the 14-30 day time frame.

Some get stress ick and it’s similar to marine ick. I have had success with mixing food with garlic guard, vitality, and dropping vitamin c in the water. If it’s marine ick need to go fast. Ten times faster with marine velvet. It’s hard to tell stress ick from marine, one huge difference is (the white spots come off , because they are releasing more into the water column)then they spots come back even thicker. but stress ick they go away and not come back. Another is only two of my fish had it , and the other 12 didn’t. Usually if not always they all get it and you must treat all of them.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m truly sorry either I’m blind or my phone is crappy. If you can edit the pics can you circle what your seeing. Maybe @Brew12 can see what I can’t. @Humblefish May as well.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’m seeing that is his normal what from his stripes. My clowns tail is just like that and always has been. But from what you circled he is totally fine, from what I see in the pic. They will have a size difference that’s normal, and if he is eating and swimming that’s better. Do you see him scraping against the sea shell or in the sand. If they do they are trying to knock the parasites off.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks like Lympho. If I'm correct, that is viral and not much you can do other than reduce stress and feed high quality food. It normally clears up on its own.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks like Lympho. If I'm correct, that is viral and not much you can do other than reduce stress and feed high quality food. It normally clears up on its own.

Thanks I wasn’t seeing much from how my phone is. But thanks a lot for helping Now I have to find what your seeing.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking at the pictures, it looked to me like the beginning of powdered sugar coating. Could it be velvet or brook?

Did you quarantine them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t since it’s just the two of them in the tank right now. How should I treat it? They’re very active and eat well. I’m not sure if it’s the stress of a new tank.

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after I posted this last night I noticed my healthier looking clown had a few white spots on her. Since they’re the only two in the tank right now I treated the tank for ich with a half dosage because I was nervous to do a full. Today her spots are completely gone and the other has no more small dots but still as a big bump type one on his back and one on the face. I may do another half dosage once I hit the 48 hour mark. I think they both could have had stress ich and the other one also had lympho on top of it.

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do you guys think it’ll be safe to do anther half tonight?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT ick fixes do not work. If a fish survived ick in the DT, it was because he/she was strong enough to do so.

For the record, Ick can only be cured through one of three ways.
1.TTM
2. Hypo
3.Copper

All fish must be treated outside of your DT and your DT cannot have fish for 72-76 days.

In your case, you appear only to have 2 fish in your DT. If that is true, I might consider Hypo treatment right in the DT. Again, that’s assuming that you have no inverts, corals in the DT

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are a bit hard to see on this end. But especially with Clownfish, when we see white-ish areas forming on the fish, we tend to look for Brooklynella. So I'm attaching a complete description of Brook along with pictures of "Early" Brook so you can see the various stages of the parasites on fish. Brook can kill rather quickly.

OP
OP
K

Ksparadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I only have the two fish as of now. No inverts. No corals. The white dots are completely gone so it might have been stress. However the one clown I posted a photo of it actually appears to be like a white growth. It’s like a big white bump. I’ll try to get a better photo. He’s so fast

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back