Clown fish

mobehtaReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added 3 small clown fish to my new 125 gallon tank and I noticed that 2 are kinda bonded while 1 just stands by itsrlf...should I add another to make it 4 and 2 pairs or am I too late for that

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added 3 small clown fish to my new 125 gallon tank and I noticed that 2 are kinda bonded while 1 just stands by itsrlf...should I add another to make it 4 and 2 pairs or am I too late for that
In the wild clownfish can form pretty large groups, with a main female, male, and then a line of succession of clownfish kept around in case one of the two main fish die.

Does not seem like this often happens in our aquaria. I have not personally tested it myself, but I think people generally have issues with the third being bullied. Two pairs can fight against each other, though a 125 gallon tank is also pretty huge.

I suppose you could keep the third fish around and see if it is accepted into the line of succession, but even then it'll just be kinda 'kept around' as a backup and don't get much love. Personally, I'd get another clownfish, and yeah, make two pairs and hope for the best (i.e. each pair lives in one end).

Your choice though. XD

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would return the odd man out. Eventually it will most likely be killed by the other 2.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back