Clown flashing questuon

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
Got a question about my clownfish that I can’t seem to find a answer for on R2R.

I’ll get this out of the way
-10 nitrate
- .06 phos
- 480 calc
- 9 kh

I have treated my fish with metroplex and kanaplex with focus. My two clowns had white stringy poop which is why I treated them, otherwise they acted normal and are growing well. This was about 6 months ago now.

5 days ago I saw the female clown in the am as the lights came on swimming around faster then normal and went to the heater and flashed off it. I seemed weird and I got worried, and watched as she didn’t do it again. But later on I saw her do it again. She is the only of the 4 fish in the tank that have displayed this behavior.
So 5 days now of metroplex and focus and I have not seen her do I again, until just a few minutes ago. She did it once and then maybe 20 minutes later didn’t it 3 more times in a row.
NEVER does it on rocks only the smooth heater.

hope this short clip I caught of her doing it helps! It is from 5 days ago when I first saw it happening.

also no fish I have has ever shown signs of ich besides this. And I have never see a flake on them or anything

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all!
Got a question about my clownfish that I can’t seem to find a answer for on R2R.

-10 nitrate
- .06 phos
- 480 calc
- 9 kh

I have treated my fish with metroplex and kanaplex with focus. My two clowns had white stringy poop which is why I treated them, otherwise they acted normal and are growing well. This was about 6 months ago now.

5 days ago I saw the female clown in the am as the lights came on swimming around faster then normal and went to the heater and flashed off it. I seemed weird and I got worried, and watched as she didn’t do it again. But later on I saw her do it again. She is the only of the 4 fish in the tank that have displayed this behavior.
So 5 days now of metroplex and focus and I have not seen her do I again, until just a few minutes ago. She did it once and then maybe 20 minutes later didn’t it 3 more times in a row.

hope this short clip I caught of her doing it helps! It is from 5 days ago when I first saw it happening.

also no fish I have has ever shown signs of ich besides this. And I have never see a flake on them or anything

Thanks!

Really need more than 6 seconds for viewing. From what I see, clown is displaying retreat from aggression of other clown which is likely the larger being female. As for white poop, . . . are you/were you feeding either brine shrimp, mysis shrimp or both ? Often when feeding these foods, the poop mimics internal issues.
Set your phone on video mode for about 45 minutes and add some food then Walk Away. YOU MUST WALK AWAY.
Return and view video and see if the other clown is harrasing or intimidating it. You will then know.
Flashing is often a sign of flukes but rarely occurs with clowns

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

-10 nitrate
- .06 phos
- 480 calc
- 9 kh

Thanks!

Clownfish sometimes develop odd behaviors, but this is pretty classic flashing. Metro and focus won’t help with this, but you could try Prazipro, 2x, 8 or 9 days apart in case it is flukes…..or, just wait a bit and see if it worsens or if other symptoms develop.
Jay

OP
OP
MikeDesjean

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vette, I feed TDO in am ( very small amount) and at night I feed mysis shrimp. I have read mixed tales on this on here so to be safe I treated again.

The clown that flashed the heater is the female and for sure is the more aggressive of the two. I will try video and see what happens for sure.

Jay, does metro/focus only work for ich on FW fish? I was just going off what the box said it treated. And is prazi reef safe? I don’t have a qt tank I can get going right now.

overall, would it be possible it’s not sick just being weird??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vette, I feed TDO in am ( very small amount) and at night I feed mysis shrimp. I have read mixed tales on this on here so to be safe I treated again.

The clown that flashed the heater is the female and for sure is the more aggressive of the two. I will try video and see what happens for sure.

Jay, does metro/focus only work for ich on FW fish? I was just going off what the box said it treated. And is prazi reef safe? I don’t have a qt tank I can get going right now.

overall, would it be possible it’s not sick just being weird??
Metro and Focus is completely overrated - nobody calculates the dose correctly. It needs to be mixed up at 5000 ppm in the total weight of food….trouble is, it is so bitter, that many fish won’t feed on it when dosed like that. In addition, metro doesn’t treat flukes, it is an anti protozoal medication.
Prazi is reef safe with good aeration (not just circulation).
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back