Clown Not Doing Well

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a clown fish that is acting very sluggish. He is staying towards the bottom, quite swimming every couple of seconds and starts to turn to his side. About 5 - 10 minutes later he swims normally and then goes right back to acting weird again.

I’m running a 90G tank with a emerald trigger sump. I have not yet implemented carbon into the system. The tank cycled for close to 6 months before I purchased the clowns. The clowns went through a 28 day copper QT and then we’re in copper-less QT for 2 weeks and I saw zero issues. I then moved them to the display and they have been there for close to 1 month now.

I do plan on adding a dose of first defense today after I do a W/C, but is there something else I should do? Do you need more info?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's its breathing? Rapid, labored? Any twitching?

Has the fish been de-wormed? General Cure or Prazi?

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's its breathing? Rapid, labored? Any twitching?

Has the fish been de-wormed? General Cure or Prazi?

Breathing is very rapid. He is getting pale in color as well.
I did not follow up with Prazi. Do I need to remove them from display and treat with prazi?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures of the little guy... maybe a video?

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video

Attachments

• 61255324793__D241AF1D-BF92-408E-B93E-5B4AB7AFA973.MOV
    2.9 MB
OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be slightly transparent. He goes from being at the bottom of the display like the video to swimming all around like everything is normal.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing is very rapid. He is getting pale in color as well.
I did not follow up with Prazi. Do I need to remove them from display and treat with prazi?
You may be dealing with flukes as copper does not rid the fish of worms.

Usually the best plan is to give the fish a freshwater dip to check for flukes. Use a dark colored container as then the white-ish sesame seed sized fluke bodies will be easy to see in the bottom of the container.

But you need to decide if your fish can take the FW dip. It does stress the fish.

If it's flukes can treat in a QT with Prazipro + Metro or with General Cure as it contains both. With Prazi + Metro need to run a powerhead to oxygenate the water; with General Cure you don't have to run a powerhead but I do anyway as it helps the fish with the meds.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be dealing with flukes as copper does not rid the fish of worms.

Usually the best plan is to give the fish a freshwater dip to check for flukes. Use a dark colored container as then the white-ish sesame seed sized fluke bodies will be easy to see in the bottom of the container.

But you need to decide if your fish can take the FW dip. It does stress the fish.

If it's flukes can treat in a QT with Prazipro + Metro or with General Cure as it contains both. With Prazi + Metro need to run a powerhead to oxygenate the water; with General Cure you don't have to run a powerhead but I do anyway as it helps the fish with the meds.

Thanks!

Would a safer course of action be to take him straight to QT and treat with prazi and bypass the freshwater dip? Just don’t want to kill the poor guy by checking before I get the chance to medicate.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Would a safer course of action be to take him straight to QT and treat with prazi and bypass the freshwater dip? Just don’t want to kill the poor guy by checking before I get the chance to medicate.
That's a great question. The advantage is that if you do the test you will know for sure if it is flukes causing the problem.

Most fish can handle the FW dip. It sometimes looks horrible for the first couple of minutes, but the fish usually calm down. And if the fish doesn't handle the dip, it probably wouldn't have made it anyway. But I have to mention this as all treatments come with risks.

And the FW dip will remove many of the flukes making the treatment later a bit easier on the fish. Plus it will immediately help the fish to breathe a bit easier.

Prazi by it self treats most worms but with Metro the others are covered too.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great question. The advantage is that if you do the test you will know for sure if it is flukes causing the problem.

Most fish can handle the FW dip. It sometimes looks horrible for the first couple of minutes, but the fish usually calm down. And if the fish doesn't handle the dip, it probably wouldn't have made it anyway. But I have to mention this as all treatments come with risks.

And the FW dip will remove many of the flukes making the treatment later a bit easier on the fish. Plus it will immediately help the fish to breathe a bit easier.

Ok! I’ll go ahead and do a FW dip and get the QT prepped just in case. Thanks for your help. I’ll post an update after I do the dip.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went upstairs to prep the QT and a container for FW dip and when I walked back down to the display the little guy had already kicked the bucket. I proceeded to FW dip just to see if I saw the white specks and I did. Poor guy was smothered in them.

Since he had them i should probably FW dip my other clown to check right?

And what do I do about the main display? Am I stuck with worms forever? Or will a fish-less 70 day period eradicate them?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man. Sorry for your loss.
I'd check that the other clown has them too.

For the display tank you have a couple of choices.
1. Go fallow for 4 weeks to starve out the flukes.
2. Or treat the display tank with Prazipro. It is "reef safe" but it could kill feather dusters and any bristleworms that may be in the tank causing a die-off.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man. Sorry for your loss.
I'd check that the other clown has them too.

For the display tank you have a couple of choices.
1. Go fallow for 4 weeks to starve out the flukes.
2. Or treat the display tank with Prazipro. It is "reef safe" but it could kill feather dusters and any bristleworms that may be in the tank causing a die-off.

Thanks! Only thing in the display is the clown and snails/hermits. So dosing prazipro straight to the DP should be fine?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Only thing in the display is the clown and snails/hermits. So dosing prazipro straight to the DP should be fine?
Yep. If you have sand, stir it a bit to make sure of complete circulation.
Watch the clown. You may see some twitching when the Prazi gets to the flukes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back