Clown not eating

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon tank that’s been running for about a month and a half. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are all good. I have 2 black onyx clowns that were the first fish in the tank. I have 3 other fish now, but they never bother the clowns. The larger of the 2 stopped eating. I feed mysis shrimp, bug bites, pellets, and nori. He used to eat it all except the nori. I’ve dropped the food right over him while the other fish are eating at another part of the tank and he ignores it. The only fish that ever exhibited any aggression towards him is the smaller clown. The smaller one will occasionally swim at the larger one as if chasing him off, but other times they are together no problem. Since I’ve had them, they swim together sometimes and other times are doing their own thing. I don’t see any visible signs of stress or injuries, but he just started not eating and I want to get ahead of the issue before it’s too late. Thanks for any advice!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
how long not eating??pics?

OP
OP
Brian86

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
how long not eating??pics?
Thanks! I think I noticed him not eating for 2 days. Here are 2 pictures, difficult to get good ones because he is still doing the typical clown wiggle.
56C9EF42-DEFF-40E2-8141-C785756A88B9.jpeg

CBCB3866-8575-4198-A0D7-1A908D7E2380.jpeg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, he does look thin,post your params so people can help ;) #reefsquad

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pics of other fish would be helpful also:)dr's will come asap:cool:silly question but what does poop look like,both clowns,other fish,any stringy white??

OP
OP
Brian86

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics of other fish would be helpful also:)dr's will come asap:cool:silly question but what does poop look like,both clowns,other fish,any stringy white??
I haven’t seen any poop the last two days. I’ll try to spot some tonight and before I leave for work tomorrow. Here is a pic of the other clown. The other 3 fish are hiding right now because it’s late and the lights were off.
E63DD204-555D-4AD3-A3EC-60D1E43BD1B2.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fins on the first clown seem droopy, that is also a sign the clown isn't happy. Does it seem to be breathing fast? What other fish are in with it, you said another clown and three others? pH is low for a newly set up tank, but that wouldn't cause the fish to not feed, unless there is a gas exchange problem (does the tank have a protein skimmer or airstone on it?).

Since the clown didn't go through a quarantine process, there could be a variety of reasons for it to stop feeding like that. My primary concern would be to know if the problem is something contagious to the other fish, but there aren't enough symptoms to go on to figure that out.

Jay

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites. Look for white stringy poo. Every clown I bought from the LFS had parasites. I have to feed it metroplex with focus to bind it to the food. I lost two snowflake clowns trying to get them to eat when I started my tank.

OP
OP
Brian86

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fins on the first clown seem droopy, that is also a sign the clown isn't happy. Does it seem to be breathing fast? What other fish are in with it, you said another clown and three others? pH is low for a newly set up tank, but that wouldn't cause the fish to not feed, unless there is a gas exchange problem (does the tank have a protein skimmer or airstone on it?).

Since the clown didn't go through a quarantine process, there could be a variety of reasons for it to stop feeding like that. My primary concern would be to know if the problem is something contagious to the other fish, but there aren't enough symptoms to go on to figure that out.

Jay
There is a small diamond goby, small yellow tang, and a 6 line wrasse. I haven’t seen them bother the clown and they swim near and past each other without issue. He is breathing faster than the other clown. I don’t think gas exchange is an issue. I have a MP40 powerhead. I have pretty good surface movement between that and the returns. The clowns were the first in the tank and by themselves for a few weeks. The other 3 fish were quarantined before going in the tank

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small diamond goby, small yellow tang, and a 6 line wrasse. I haven’t seen them bother the clown and they swim near and past each other without issue. He is breathing faster than the other clown. I don’t think gas exchange is an issue. I have a MP40 powerhead. I have pretty good surface movement between that and the returns. The clowns were the first in the tank and by themselves for a few weeks. The other 3 fish were quarantined before going in the tank
What is your quarantine procedure and did you give them any meds or observe any problems?

OP
OP
Brian86

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your quarantine procedure and did you give them any meds or observe any problems?
Quarantined for 3 weeks. I didn’t use any meds because there were no visible signs of any problems. They were eating well and pretty active in QT prior to going to the display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
His tail is shredded and I don’t believe fin rot issue
Ph is a bit low but not a cause to refuse food. Generally its high ammonia, internal parasites and aggression that will cause this.
Try a water change and see if that changes the feeding habit.
adding garlic to food May or may not help

OP
OP
Brian86

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tail is shredded and I don’t believe fin rot issue
Ph is a bit low but not a cause to refuse food. Generally its high ammonia, internal parasites and aggression that will cause this.
Try a water change and see if that changes the feeding habit.
adding garlic to food May or may not help
His tail isn’t shredded. He has a white almost completely translucent edge around the dark color. It’s difficult to see, especially because it’s always moving but I did stare at him for awhile trying to see if his fins had issues. They look fine though. I did the water change and ammonia is reading zero. Tried garlic guard and he still didn’t eat it.

OP
OP
Brian86

Brian86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites. Look for white stringy poo. Every clown I bought from the LFS had parasites. I have to feed it metroplex with focus to bind it to the food. I lost two snowflake clowns trying to get them to eat when I started my tank.
What treatment do you recommend for internal parasites? He won’t eat so those options are out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back