Clown tanf

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, my clown tang was eating this morning and I noticed now in the evening it has scrapes on its fins and was looking weak. I transferred to a Qt but it seems to be swimming towards the top, not sure why, it was at the bottom in the DT. My DT is currently in hyposalinty as it has ICH, this tang had some white spots but not a lot, in place it has some scars now. I have Seachem stress guard coming in tomorrow along with Selcom and garlic extract. I’m hoping those can help. If @vetteguy53081 or anyone else has any input I’d really appreciate it. I saw a post of Vetteguy regarding the seldom and Garlic and ordered as was his suggestion. Anything else I can do to help. I have kanaplex and Cupramine on hand. I attached a video below for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2129.MOV
    28.9 MB
  • IMG_2129.MOV
    29 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, my clown tang was eating this morning and I noticed now in the evening it has scrapes on its fins and was looking weak. I transferred to a Qt but it seems to be swimming towards the top, not sure why, it was at the bottom in the DT. My DT is currently in hyposalinty as it has ICH, this tang had some white spots but not a lot, in place it has some scars now. I have Seachem stress guard coming in tomorrow along with Selcom and garlic extract. I’m hoping those can help. If @vetteguy53081 or anyone else has any input I’d really appreciate it. I saw a post of Vetteguy regarding the seldom and Garlic and ordered as was his suggestion. Anything else I can do to help. I have kanaplex and Cupramine on hand. I attached a video below for reference.

Sorry - I just woke up and am seeing this now. Hopefully, the fish surivived the night, it looks to be in a pretty bad way though.

What other fish was the clown tang in with?
What level of hypo were you running in the DT?
Is the QT at the same salinity as the DT was?

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like ich behavior to me. Maybe flukes in the gills and chewing on the fins?

If the fish survives, it might be worth a dip and a dewormer.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I just woke up and am seeing this now. Hopefully, the fish surivived the night, it looks to be in a pretty bad way though.

What other fish was the clown tang in with?
What level of hypo were you running in the DT?
Is the QT at the same salinity as the DT was?

Jay
The fish did survive, didn’t eat anything this morning. The hypo in the tank is at 1.009, I have the QT at 1.010. There is another purple tang, two clownfish, a rabbit fish, a fox face, 2 damsels. I noticed one of the damsel being aggressive with another fish which died a couple days ago. I haven’t seen other fish be aggressive with the clown but not sure what to think of the fins.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like ich behavior to me. Maybe flukes in the gills and chewing on the fins?

If the fish survives, it might be worth a dip and a dewormer.
This clown tang was Qtined and before I put them in the DT I usually dip in plain water for 5 minutes before transferring. What dip or dewormer do you mean?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dip or dewormer do you mean?
For a dip, freshwater or a commercial one. For deworming, I use straight Prazi but Metro is another one, or General Cure has both in it.

I just think there is something else going on there besides ich.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish did survive, didn’t eat anything this morning. The hypo in the tank is at 1.009, I have the QT at 1.010. There is another purple tang, two clownfish, a rabbit fish, a fox face, 2 damsels. I noticed one of the damsel being aggressive with another fish which died a couple days ago. I haven’t seen other fish be aggressive with the clown but not sure what to think of the fins.
I would say the purple tang or one of the damsels is the culprit. The purple tang would have caused more body damage IMO. Itr is also possible that the clown tang had some issue that kept it from swimming properly and the other fish attacked it because it couldn't get away. It is a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" issue....

Jay

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the purple tang or one of the damsels is the culprit. The purple tang would have caused more body damage IMO. Itr is also possible that the clown tang had some issue that kept it from swimming properly and the other fish attacked it because it couldn't get away. It is a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" issue....

Jay
The purple tang is usually very peaceful. When one of the other fish was sick in quarantine it used to cover it to prevent other fish from getting close. Either that or it thought of the corner as his own but didn’t mind the other fish there.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
It might be the damsel, I saw it pestering the clown and it wouldn’t swim away fast enough. Are damsels good in the long run? I got them because they were hardy

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a dip, freshwater or a commercial one. For deworming, I use straight Prazi but Metro is another one, or General Cure has both in it.

I just think there is something else going on there besides ich.
I have general cure, I should add that to salt or freshwater and then dip? You dip in prazi first and then freshwater as well?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be the damsel, I saw it pestering the clown and it wouldn’t swim away fast enough. Are damsels good in the long run? I got them because they were hardy

Depending on the species, they can be just too mean. Chromis are fine, as are some of the yellowtail species.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 110 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back