Clown Trigger….Should I or shouldn’t I…that is the ? In need of an answer….

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many know I have a 625g (7 1/2 ft long) FOWLR that has mostly tangs and angels (large and dwarf). Also has 4 ocellaris.maroon and orange diamond gobies in there as well. I’ve been torn about adding a clown trigger. If I add a 2 1/2-3 1/2 inch, how fast will it grow? Does it really reach 20 inches in captivity? At what point, if ever, will it be a threat to the smaller inhabitants if it grows along with them? Thx to all for opinions and especially from those that have experience with this beautiful but aggressive trigger.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small one has a good chance of growing up to being a very good tank mate. The aggressive horror stories you may have heard mostly always comes from when larger mature ones are added directly from the ocean. The bad ends also comes from keeping them in a tank too small and over crowded; and your tank is more than perfect for one. They do grow slowly and I have never seen one more than 10" grown up in captivity, really not even 10". I've seen ones for more than 10 years living in very large tanks never getting more than 10". Most times people are exaggerating size, like with other things as well(haha).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most times people are exaggerating size, like with other things as well(haha).
The most common one I find this to be the case is with aggression on tangs, wrasse ect.. they really aren’t as aggressive as people say if you get them from a young size (I would say age but let’s be real, nobody knows how old their tang truly is, just how long they’ve owned it)

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small one, it will not grow as big as a fish in nature. He'll I would add more. I have 8 in my 180g just added 2 babies a Blueline and undulated to the the 6 others, a Clown, Assasi, Niger, Pinktail, black Hawaiian and Huma. This is in a mixed reef. Hit me up with any questions, but if it were me I would add a bunch if my tank was double in size!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small one, it will not grow as big as a fish in nature. He'll I would add more. I have 8 in my 180g just added 2 babies a Blueline and undulated to the the 6 others, a Clown, Assasi, Niger, Pinktail, black Hawaiian and Huma. This is in a mixed reef. Hit me up with any questions, but if it were me I would add a bunch if my tank was double in size!

Are triggers classed as not reefsafe because they go after corals and inverts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had one in a past tank and it bothered nothing. Obviously, keep it fed

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at X. greenei and because of its small size I was thinking that could be a nice trigger to own - Only issue is I have no clue how much one would go for here in the Uk

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at X. greenei and because of its small size I was thinking that could be a nice trigger to own - Only issue is I have no clue how much one would go for here in the Uk

I've seen them priced here in the States around $900, some try and price higher. There are other Xanthichthys genus similar like the x. ringens. and the common x. auromarginatus. All are small and tame as triggers go. These are not my cup of tea, I like the rambunctious sort. The Rhinecanthus genus grow slowly and stay on the small size.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are triggers classed as not reefsafe because they go after corals and inverts?
I would say from my experience I would say 98% of the not reef safe is because they will munch cleanup crew but the ones in my tank have all become nocturnal cuz of the predators, out of all the triggers I've owned and currently have 8 the only one that will pick at corals(only acros, leaves all other corals alone)is the Clown. It's not like a constant thing he will be just swimming around and will just bite it and swim on.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown trigger in my 180 along with a Humu humu, 3 stripe damsel, 2 domino damsels, 6 line wrasse, hippo tang, scopas tang, powder brown tang, flame angel and bluefin angel.

I'd say that other than that first 24 hours after introduction, I have not seen any aggression from anyone save maybe feeding time.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you kept all of those triggers?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you kept all of those triggers?
The Clown, Assasi and Niger roughly 5 years the Black Hawaiian, Pinktail and Huma around 2 years that was in a 90g, in July I put the 180g where the 90g was, the baby Blueline and undulated just went in a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good volume lol. I don’t think I can have a 625 (or was it 650?) any time soon.
It s actually 735g tank that I calculate at 625g water volume (15% water displacement due to sand and rock). It s nice size but just like any other tank you do run out of room and have to guard against the “one more fish” syndrome!

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nice tank, when i get a big tank i want a tetradon gang w/ boxfish, puffers, triggers then some angels, basslets, hawks etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back