Clownfish (2 Weeks Old) Has Internal Parasite?

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I added a pair of clownfish to my tank two weeks ago. Both seemed extremely healthy and even now are always eating, swimming around. However, I noticed today that the female has white stringy poop attached to it's anus. I feed a little heavy - about x3 Mysis shrimp a week, and pellets (1mm) in size. Unfortunately, I'm in Canada so I know some medicine I can't buy from the store. Is this definitely internal parasite?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In cases like this, pictures under white light always helpful. Although white stringy poop suggests internal parasites, if you’re feeding mysis shrimp and brine shrimp, the poop will mimic internal parasites
If not feeding them that, prazi pro in a qt tank with increased oxygen via air stone will be the treatment

OP
OP
S

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases like this, pictures under white light always helpful. Although white stringy poop suggests internal parasites, if you’re feeding mysis shrimp and brine shrimp, the poop will mimic internal parasites
If not feeding them that, prazi pro in a qt tank with increased oxygen via air stone will be the treatment
Thank you for the help vette, truly appreciate it. So I will keep an eye on it - if I feed Mysis shrimp two days ago and it poops white, it's fine? I do feed Mysis regularly. Now, these pair I got are actually a year and a half old (bonded) as I bought them from an existing tank. They've only been in my own tank for almost 3 weeks. Should I keep an eye on it, and if I see the white string again? then treat? I don't have access to Prazi because of restrictions but might be able to get API general cure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the help vette, truly appreciate it. So I will keep an eye on it - if I feed Mysis shrimp two days ago and it poops white, it's fine? I do feed Mysis regularly. Now, these pair I got are actually a year and a half old (bonded) as I bought them from an existing tank. They've only been in my own tank for almost 3 weeks. Should I keep an eye on it, and if I see the white string again? then treat? I don't have access to Prazi because of restrictions but might be able to get API general cure.
In this case- get LRS fish frenzy and/or Hikari marine cuisine
Feed those and no brine and mysis for 5 days
Poop color should change to typical color- then you know plus you will have provided a healthy diet in the process then feed all

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back