Clownfish acting… funny

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank for over 6 years now and still have two of the original fishes - a pair of clownfishes.

About 10 days ago, I noticed the female being a little lethargic - just resting on its side in the GHA.
Went on a trip and came back to see the same thing. Occasionally moves around the bottom of the tank and then secludes herself back into crevices in the rocks or in the GHA.

Breathing seems normal - maybe even a little slow. Only two clownfishes in an 70G tank.

Long cycled tank.
Temp: 77.5-78.1
PH stable around 8

Just testing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite

can’t see any white on gills - so I don’t think it’s Brook

ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had my tank for over 6 years now and still have two of the original fishes - a pair of clownfishes.

About 10 days ago, I noticed the female being a little lethargic - just resting on its side in the GHA.
Went on a trip and came back to see the same thing. Occasionally moves around the bottom of the tank and then secludes herself back into crevices in the rocks or in the GHA.

Breathing seems normal - maybe even a little slow. Only two clownfishes in an 70G tank.

Long cycled tank.
Temp: 77.5-78.1
PH stable around 8

Just testing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite

can’t see any white on gills - so I don’t think it’s Brook

ideas?

Fish appears to have labored breathing. I agree, no notable signs causing distress. Low dissolved oxygen can be a cause as can be a gill disease caused by bacteria making it hard for fish to get neded oxygen. You can add an airstone to increase oxygen. Often when its not parasitical- Its water
What test kits are you using ?
last thought would be if clown got startled and crashed into tank or other object

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish appears to have labored breathing. I agree, no notable signs causing distress. Low dissolved oxygen can be a cause as can be a gill disease caused by bacteria making it hard for fish to get neded oxygen. You can add an airstone to increase oxygen. Often when its not parasitical- Its water
What test kits are you using ?
last thought would be if clown got startled and crashed into tank or other object
I’m using a API Saltwater Master Test Kit

I’ll try adding an air stone. Should it be in the DT? Or can I have it in the sump?

Any other ideas is appreciated.

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Big suggestion- Take a good size water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours. Especially with ammonia, API notorious for false readings often showing levels lower that actually are. While some have confidence, it has let down Many reefers hence the low cost of $25 for a master test kit and I will not sustain hundreds of dollars of livestock with a $25 master kit - just my feelings on these kits
I’m using a API Saltwater Master Test Kit

I’ll try adding an air stone. Should it be in the DT? Or can I have it in the sump?

Any other ideas is appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big suggestion- Take a good size water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours. Especially with ammonia, API notorious for false readings often showing levels lower that actually are. While some have confidence, it has let down Many reefers hence the low cost of $25 for a master test kit and I will not sustain hundreds of dollars of livestock with a $25 master kit - just my feelings on these kits
Thought crossed my mind - I think I’ve got a Seachem badge around too - I’ll put that in. But if I have a chance - I’ll take some to LFS I know.

Put together a quick QT for now - grabbed about 2 gals of DT water mixed with 3 gals of new SW - matched temp to about 1 deg and put her in. Didn’t have any spare cycled media - so I threw in a DT sump rock. Put an air stone in too.

She put up a little bit of a fight, so still has some pep. But let’s see if the oxygenated water and DT water with 60% less ammonia (if there’s ammonia) helps out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is she still eating? (I presume not)
Think about this - if it were a water quality issue, both clownfish would be affected to the same degree,
I would think then, that this is more likely an injury, or something else particular to this fish.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back