Clownfish acting strange

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my clownfish is acting a little lethargic. Still eating but not as excitedly. I’ve had her for about 5 months now. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. 0 nitrate. 1.022 salinity. She also has some long stringy white/greenish feces. I will attach a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4464.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you feeding a varied frozen diet?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
one of my clownfish is acting a little lethargic. Still eating but not as excitedly. I’ve had her for about 5 months now. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. 0 nitrate. 1.022 salinity. She also has some long stringy white/greenish feces. I will attach a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4464.jpeg
Im not seeing anything that jumps out in the way of disease, I do see tail nipping which may suggest aggression from another clown or even the puffer.
Your salinity is low and should come up to 1.024-1.025
I would also when opportunity allows it to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at and assure you are not getting false readings. Assure also temperature has not become elevated
As for feces, there may excess mucus in the stomach from foods fed especially fatty foods such as mysis shrimp. There is no signs suggesting internal issues

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not seeing anything that jumps out in the way of disease, I do see tail nipping which may suggest aggression from another clown or even the puffer.
Your salinity is low and should come up to 1.024-1.025
I would also when opportunity allows it to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at and assure you are not getting false readings. Assure also temperature has not become elevated
As for feces, there may excess mucus in the stomach from foods fed especially fatty foods such as mysis shrimp. There is no signs suggesting internal issues
I keep my temperature at 78 which is monitored with a INKBIRD controller. A lot of the foods I feed do have my sis blended in. I will take a water sample to the LFS. Thank you for the reply

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4464.jpeg
The stringy feces catches my eye. This can be caused by a number of factors, some benign, some serious. However, when combined with another symptom, in this case lethargy, it is concerning.
Any recent diet changes?
If not, it could be an overgrowth of bacteria or protozoans in the gut.
You could mix metronidazole in the food at 0.50%, but you would need an accurate gram scale to dose that.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stringy feces catches my eye. This can be caused by a number of factors, some benign, some serious. However, when combined with another symptom, in this case lethargy, it is concerning.
Any recent diet changes?
If not, it could be an overgrowth of bacteria or protozoans in the gut.
You could mix metronidazole in the food at 0.50%, but you would need an accurate gram scale to dose that.
Jay
No diet changes. I do feed a wide variety of fry/frozen. Maybe something just didn’t sit right with her?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No diet changes. I do feed a wide variety of fry/frozen. Maybe something just didn’t sit right with her?
Maybe, but the lethargy isn’t a good sign. Is the fish breathing faster than normal
Jay

ReeferMadnessTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the stringy poop is going to be internal parasites. Metroplex would work for that. Anything new added in the past couple weeks? Might want to QT and monitor/ treat. Slime coat looks fine?

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the stringy poop is going to be internal parasites. Metroplex would work for that. Anything new added in the past couple weeks? Might want to QT and monitor/ treat. Slime coat looks fine?
Nope. Nothing new. I’ll be honest I’m not sure how I check the slime coat…
Typically the stringy poop is going to be internal parasites. Metroplex would work for that. Anything new added in the past couple weeks? Might want to QT and monitor/ treat. Slime coat looks f

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say very slightly faster than normal.
If it worsens, it may stop eating. You can still dose metronidazole, but would need to do that in a treatment tank, in the water.
Hopefully, this was a transient issue and the fish improves today.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gongshow1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it worsens, it may stop eating. You can still dose metronidazole, but would need to do that in a treatment tank, in the water.
Hopefully, this was a transient issue and the fish improves today.
Jay
I hope so as well. I will monitor and if need be move the fish to a treatment tank. I appreciate the help!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back