Clownfish aggression

scubachild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a second clownfish to my tank. He is smaller than the first but it is not going well. The first one chases him and keeps him cornered. The new fish is eating but looks so tired. He is not getting nipped but the original clown turns backwards and whacks him with her tail if he tries to swim around. Would adding an anemone help with this? It has only been two days but i don’t like this new behavior. Thanks for any help.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new male clown in a tank that already has a female clown will almost always be an issue. Try putting the male in a container that can flow water thru and even get attached to the side of the tank. That way the female will get accustom to his being in the tank without being able to harass him too much.

OP
OP
S

scubachild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new male clown in a tank that already has a female clown will almost always be an issue. Try putting the male in a container that can flow water thru and even get attached to the side of the tank. That way the female will get accustom to his being in the tank without being able to harass him too much.
Ok. I did that. Thanks. How long do I leave him in there?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do at least a few days. It kind of depends on how the female reacts even though the male is in a cage.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back