Clownfish/Angelfish Injury and Disease?

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, here is some information about my tank and the affected fish. I have also attached photos of my system + short videos of the affected fish. My clownfish pair have laid eggs three times in the past 2.5 months, they are good parents and hardly ever leave the eggs other than to feed but even then one clown always remains at the nest. And for the past 2 weeks, I have noticed in my oldest clownfish, presumably, the female, has what looks to be sores around the gills exposing worn skin, additionally, she has some sort of raised wear/puncture on the right side of her belly, which now lacks scales and white flesh protrudes. This has 100% gotten worse in the last day or two, and I am not sure what it is. I am more worried about my clownfish as I have no clue what I should do or what it is.

For my angelfish, I am less worried as I think it is just an injury to its right eye, which has now inflated. But the fish's overall behavior is not greatly affected and it is still eating. Like the lionfish, the angelfish is new (about a week now), and I think the popeye may have been caused by some petty aggression or even just a scrape, or possibly when I netted the fish + stress of transportation.

Video of Clownfish:
Hello, here is some information about my tank and the affected fish. I have also attached photos of my system + short videos of the affected fish. My clownfish pair have laid eggs three times in the past 2.5 months, they are good parents and hardly ever leave the eggs other than to feed but even then one clown always remains at the nest. And for the past 2 weeks, I have noticed in my oldest clownfish, presumably, the female, has what looks to be sores around the gills exposing worn skin, additionally, she has some sort of raised wear/puncture on the right side of her belly, which now lacks scales and white flesh protrudes. This has 100% gotten worse in the last day or two, and I am not sure what it is. I am more worried about my clownfish as I have no clue what I should do or what it is.

For my angelfish, I am less worried as I think it is just an injury to its right eye, which has now inflated. But the fish's overall behavior is not greatly affected and it is still eating. Like the lionfish, the angelfish is new (about a week now), and I think the popeye may have been caused by some petty aggression or even just a scrape, or possibly when I netted the fish + stress of transportation.

Video of Clownfish:

Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 112-gallon system, 88-gallon display
Filtration type: Refugium w/ chaeto, large skimmer, filter socks, filter pad, weekly water changes of 10-15 gallons
Lighting: Red Sea ReefLED 90 (2)
How long has the aquarium been established? : Almost three years, but I moved last year and bought a new tank and transferred everything
Inhabitants:
- Yellow Tang (1)
- Clownfish (2) - One is affected, undiagnosed
- Cardinalfish (2)
- Valentini Puffer (1)
- Chromis (2)
- Dwarf Lionfish (1) - NEW - Very small, been watching closely and have seen no aggression, hide basically all day on the sandbed and moves only when I feed
- Coral Beauty (1) - Affected with popeye
- Royal Gramma (1)

It's important to note that the two fish affected are not affected by the same things, and all my fish are eating

Water quality:
Temperature:
79.5 degrees
pH: 7.88
Salinity / specific gravity: 35 PPT
Ammonia: None detectable

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?
No
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? Water change, vitamin-enriched dry and wet food

Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: 112-gallon system, 88-gallon display
Filtration type: Refugium w/ chaeto, large skimmer, filter socks, filter pad, weekly water changes of 10-15 gallons
Lighting: Red Sea ReefLED 90 (2)
How long has the aquarium been established? : Almost three years, but I moved last year and bought a new tank and transferred everything
Inhabitants:
- Yellow Tang (1)
- Clownfish (2) - One is affected, undiagnosed
- Cardinalfish (2)
- Valentini Puffer (1)
- Chromis (2)
- Dwarf Lionfish (1) - NEW - Very small, been watching closely and have seen no aggression, hide basically all day on the sandbed and moves only when I feed
- Coral Beauty (1) - Affected with popeye
- Royal Gramma (1)

It's important to note that the two fish affected are not affected by the same things, and all my fish are eating

Water quality:
Temperature:
79.5 degrees
pH: 7.88
Salinity / specific gravity: 35 PPT
Ammonia: None detectable

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?
No
Are any invertebrates affected? No
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? Water change, vitamin-enriched dry and wet food

IMG_0146.jpeg IMG_0169.jpeg IMG_0187.jpeg IMG_0184.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mild popeye on the angelfish could have been caused by mechanical trauma while being moved. This sometimes resolves on its own. To treat it though, you would need to move it to a treatment tank and medicate with erythromycin.
I couldnt get a super clear view of the clown, but it seems to have an external bacterial infection (could be fungal, but that’s rare). It would need to be treated in a separate tank with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 would cover both fish at the same time.
That said, I’ve recently been dismayed at the number of poor quality fish moving through the supply chain - I’m strongly urging everyone to quarantine with copper and prazi, or at the least, buy pre quarantined fish.
Jay

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mild popeye on the angelfish could have been caused by mechanical trauma while being moved. This sometimes resolves on its own. To treat it though, you would need to move it to a treatment tank and medicate with erythromycin.
I couldnt get a super clear view of the clown, but it seems to have an external bacterial infection (could be fungal, but that’s rare). It would need to be treated in a separate tank with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 would cover both fish at the same time.
That said, I’ve recently been dismayed at the number of poor quality fish moving through the supply chain - I’m strongly urging everyone to quarantine with copper and prazi, or at the least, buy pre quarantined fish.
Jay

I'm purchasing these two things. I now think the clownfish has some sort of bacterial infection you were right, google pictures match what I'm seeing on the clown when I look up external infections. Is it safe to treat maracyn1 and maracyn2 in the display, it says invert safe, is there any risk to my corals or the general well-being of my display tank? Thanks for your reply

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
What about the Kanaplex? Would that be an option for the display? I could even absorb it into food and feed it directly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no - those two antibiotics need to be dosed in a treatment tank. I’ve dosed erythromycin in reefs to kill slime algae, but it can cause stress to the more delicate invertebrates.
The trouble with medicated foods is that nobody really does it correctly, so the dosages range all over the place. Take a look at an article I posted here on medicated foods, it’s pretty involved though.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back